County Coordinator

Vertical Files‎ > ‎

Guide to Key West, Part III

A Guide to KEY WEST; Monroe Co, FL
Contributor: Joy R. Fisher <sdgenweb AT yahoo.com>
Date Contributed: 18 Jun 2010
A Guide to KEY WEST
Compiled by workers of the
Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration
in the State of Florida
AMERICAN GUIDE SERIES

Illustrated
Sponsored by the Florida State Planning Board
HASTINGS HOUSE, Publishers  NEW YORK

FLORIDA STATE PLANNING BOARD
STATE-WIDE SPONSOR OF THE FLORIDA WRITERS' PROJECT
FEDERAL WORKS AGENCY JOHN M. CARMODY, Administrator
WORK PROJECTS ADMINISTRATION
HOWARD O. HUNTER, Acting Commissioner
FLORENCE KERR, Assistant Commissioner
ROY SCHRODER, State Administrator
All rights are reserved, including the rights to reproduce this hook or parts thereof in any form
Copyright 1941 by the Florida State Planning Board

PRINTED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Part III - Chronology

 

1513

Ponce de Leon sails past Florida Keys, naming them Los Martires.

1815

Key West, known as Cayo Hueso (Bone Island), is granted to

 

Juan Pablo Salas, by Don Juan de Estrada, for meritorious service

 

to the Crown of Spain.

1822

Key West is bought from Salas by John W. Simonton of Mobile,

 

Alabama, for $2,000.

 

"Brethren of the Coast" are driven from Key West and vicinity

 

and destroyed by Commodore David Porter.

 

Lieutenant M. C. Perry takes possession of the island as part of

 

the territory ceded to the United States by Spain.

 

Naval depot is established.

1824

United States Marines arrive in Key West.

1828

Congress passes bill establishing at Key West the "Superior

 

Court of the Southern Judicial District of the Territory of

 

Florida."

 

Key West is incorporated as a city; later as a town.

1829

Post office is established.

1831

Army Barracks are constructed.

 

First cigar factory in United States is established by William

H. Wall.

1832

Saint Paul's Church is founded.

 

Territorial Council replaces town charter with incorporated

city charter.

1845

Construction of Fort Taylor is begun.

1846

Destructive hurricane strikes city.

 

Fort Jefferson, Dry Tortugas, is established and construction

begins.

 

Marine Hospital is established.

1861

East and West Martello Towers are constructed as additional

fortifications.

1861-66

Key West is the only Southern City to remain in hands of

 

Union throughout duration of War between the States.

1868

Sisters of Holy Names of Jesus and Mary arrive from Canada.

1869

Cuban migration to Key West begins.

1871

First Hall of San Carlos Instituto Patriotico y Docente

is dedicated.

1876

First City Hall constructed.

1886

Fire destroys a large part of the city.

1898

Survivors and injured of the U. S. S. Maine are brought from

 

Havana to Key West by U. S. Lighthouse Tender Mangrove.

 

First Spanish-American prize of war is brought into port.

1912

Overseas Railway is completed.

1926

Overseas Highway and Ferry System completed.

1930

Present United States Customhouse, Post Office, and Courthouse

are completed.

1934

Rehabilitation of Key West, impoverished by severe depression,

 

is begun by Florida Emergency Relief Administration.

1935

Florida East Coast Railway service to Key West is terminated

 

after disastrous Labor Day hurricane strikes the keys to the

 

north of Key West.

1938

Overseas Highway is completed.

1939

Government re-establishes Naval and Submarine Bases.

1940

Naval Air Base is opened at Trumbo Island.

 

Key West Yacht Club is organized.

 

More tourists visit Key West than during any previous year in

 

the city's history, and bring about a partial business revival,

but large reductions in the WPA work relief rolls halt economic

recovery.

 

 

 

 

Comments