School of Computer Sciences
Email: molla (@niser dot ac dot in)
anisurpm (@gmail dot com)
... random makes more simple!
I moved to NISER. I was a postdoc researcher in the Algorithms and Complexity group headed by Prof. Dr. Fabian Kuhn at University of Freiburg, Germany. I also spent a short time at Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) as a postdoc, hosted by Prof. Jason Gu.
My research interest includes design and analysis of algorithms, mainly in distributed computing. I like randomized algorithms, probabilistic analysis of algorithms and algorithms for dynamic networks. My PhD thesis focuses on random walks, spectral graph theory and their applications in designing efficient distributed network algorithms. I am also interested and have done some experimental research.
Journal Papers: *Journal papers are extended version of published paper in conferences below
- Distributed Computation in Dynamic Networks via Random Walks, A. Das Sarma, A. R. Molla, G. Pandurangan. Theoretical Computer Science (TCS), volume 581, pages 45 - 66, 2015.
- Efficient Random Walk Sampling in Distributed Networks, A. Das Sarma, A. R. Molla, G. Pandurangan. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), volume 77, pages 84 - 94, 2015.
- Fast Distributed PageRank Computation, A. Das Sarma, A. R. Molla, G. Pandurangan and E. Upfal. Theoretical Computer Science (TCS), volume 561, pages 113-121, 2015. Special issue of selected papers of the 14th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN 2013).
Peer Reviewed Conference Papers (published + submitted):
- Distributed Computation of Mixing Time, with Gopal Pandurangan. 18th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN 2017), Hyderabad, India.
- Greedy Routing and the Algorithmic Small-World Phenomenon with K. Bringmann, R. Keusch, J. Lengler, Y. Maus. In submission.
- Distributed Sparse Cut Approximation, with Fabian Kuhn. 19th International Conference on Principles of Distributed Systems (OPODIS 2015), Rennes, France.
- The Cost of Global Broadcast in Dynamic Radio Networks, with Mohamad Ahmadi, Abdolhamid Ghodselahi, Fabian Kuhn. 19th International Conference on Principles of Distributed Systems (OPODIS 2015), Rennes, France.
- Distributed Computation of Sparse Cuts via Random Walks, with Atish Das Sarma, Gopal Pandurangan. 16th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN 2015), Goa, India.
- Storage and Search in Dynamic Peer-to-Peer Networks, with John Augustine, Ehab Morsy, Gopal Pandurangan, Peter Robinson, Eli Upfal. 25th ACM Symposium on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures (SPAA 2013), Montreal, Canada.
- Fast Distributed PageRank Computation, with Atish Das Sarma, Gopal Pandurangan, Eli Upfal. 14th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDCN 2013), Mumbai, India.
- Efficient Distributed Computation via Random Walks, Anisur Rahaman Molla. In PhD Forum, ICDCN 2013, Mumbai, India. Best Contributor Award (PhD Forum).
- Fast Distributed Computation in Dynamic Networks via Random Walks, with Atish Das Sarma, Gopal Pandurangan. 26th International Symposium on Distributed Computing (DISC 2012), Salvador, Brazil.
- Near-Optimal Random Walk Sampling in Distributed Networks, with Atish Das Sarma, Gopal Pandurangan. 31st Annual IEEE International Conference on Computer Communications (IEEE
INFOCOM 2012), Florida, USA.
Note: Most of the above papers are available in arXiv. (may not be updated!)
Some Other Manuscripts:
- Random Walks in Distributed Networks and Their Applications. PhD Thesis 2014, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
Studies on Tate Pairing Computations on Edwards Curves and A Strongly Unified Addition Formula for Elliptic Curves. Master Thesis 2010. Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata.
- Proof of : Fundamental Theorem of Algebraic Graph Theory. A term paper, during M.Tech (CS) at Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. (pdf)
Short academic CV:
- Graduate seminar course -- Theory of Computation (Winter Term 2015/16 at Uni Freiburg)
- Graduate course -- Algorithm Theory (Winter Term 2015/16 at Uni Freiburg)
- Graduate course -- Network Algorithms (Summer Term 2015 at Uni Freiburg): Tutor
- Graduate seminar course -- Theory of (Distributed) Computation (Winter 2014/2015 and Summer 2015 at Uni Freiburg)
- MH3400 -- Algorithms for Real Worlds (Fall 2013 at NTU): Teaching Assistant.
- MH1402 -- Algorithms and Computing II (Spring 2013 at NTU): Teaching Assistant.
- I have also taught several mathematics courses (e.g., Algebra, Linear Programming, Real Analysis, Calculus) to undergraduate students while I was a lecturer at Vivekananda College for Women, University of Calcutta.
I am happy to have served as an external reviewer for the following Journals and Conferences:
Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing (JPDC), Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems (TPDS), Informations Processing Letters (IPL)
ICALP, DISC, IPDPS, ICDCN, KDD, SSS, SRDS, ICCCN, SENSORS, CALDAM
Academic Visits: Advanced Computing and Microelectronics Unit (ACMU), Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata. From August 18 - 22, 2014 and also from March 27 - 31, 2015. (hosted by Prof. Krishnendu Mukhopadhyaya).
Some Other Information:
- I have co-supervised a Master's thesis at University of Freiburg.
- Cryptography (in particular, Public Key Cryptography) is another favourite topic of mine. My master dissertation was on Elliptic Curve Cryptography, advisor was Prof. Rana Barua at ISI, Kolkata. I have continued with the project as a research scientist for another six months after the master's degree.
- My Erdős number is 3 (one possible path is: I---Gopal Pandurangan---Prasad Tetali---Paul Erdős)
School of Mathematical Sciences
Jatni, Odisha, India.