Canby Commercial Historic District

File:Canby Commercial Historic District.jpg
    The town of Canby was a center of local commerce starting with its platting in 1876 so when the two block commercial district was almost entirely destroyed in 1893, the town rebounded fairly quickly.  The commercial historic district's buildings are generally uniform in building material and style as they were nearly all built around the same time.  While the first district's buildings were wood framed, the town's businessmen decided to rebuild with more fireproof materials, namely stone.  The Canby News editor is credited with stating, in regards to the fire, "the old saying is that 'a town must burn down before it will build up substantially' holds good."

Address:
First Street West and St. Olaf Avenue North, Canby, MN 56220
Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Canby_Commercial_Historic_District.jpg