City of Renville Historic Preservation Commission and Museum

  
Renville Museum (Renville's first School 1879) - Renville, MN - September 9th, 2011
    
The museum was erected by S.N. Olson in 1879 at a cost of $500 and was actually Renville's first school. It was known as "Mary Munson's College." Michael Dowling was the principal in 1887. Over the years the building has served as City Hall, jail, fire house, voting station, American Legion and Boy Scout meeting rooms and has housed hundreds of gatherings of one kind or another.
    After the big schoolhouse fire of 1919, Sam Berlin taught wood working in the rear half of the building - the front part housed the fire equipment. In 1997, the City of Renville gave the building to the newly organized Historic Renville Preservation Commission for use as a museum. The Renville City Jail is also a part of the HRPC's museum.

Contact:
Site Address: 211 N. Main, Renville, MN 56284
Mailing Address: 211 N. Main, Box 681, Renville, MN 56284
Phone: 320-329-8210, Mildred Zaske
Email: zaskewh@rswb.coop

Hours:
Memorial Day-September (dependent on temperatures)
Tuesdays: 1:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

O
ther times by appointment



Photo: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/58894451