Gimmestad Land and Loan Agency


(Gimmestad in 1893 vs. Present day restoration)


     This building was built around 1892, one of the oldest buildings in Belview and the only one that was a private business. The Land and Loan business centered on what brought most new settlers to this part of the world in the late 19th century- land. After the Dakota Conflict in 1862, a 10 mile strip of land to the south side of the the Minnesota River became available after the Native Americans were forced to relocate. This ten mile strip included what is today Belview. By the time this Land and Loan office opened, it is likely that much of the area's land had been occupied by new settlers; the Redwood Land and Loan office had closed years earlier in 1889.
     Thanks to the Belview Preservation Commission the Land and Loan office has been restored to it's original state and it is a good representation of common early town business and a promoter of village commerce.

Contact:
Address: Main Street and County Rd. 7, Belview, MN 56214
Phone: Joanne Aamoth, 507-938-4335

Hours:
All historic buildings in Belview are open by appointment.


Photo: Joanne Aamoth and the Belview Preservation Commision.