Mendota Historic District

File:Sibley House complex.JPG

    Established in the 1810s, Mendota was one of the earliest permanent settlements in Minnesota, with some of the surviving buildings dating back to the 1830s.  Its proximity to Fort Snelling and at the intersection of the Minnesota and Mississippi rivers made it an ideal starting point for settlement.  Remnants of the American Fur Company established in the 1830s still remain.  The historic district also contains St. Peter's Church, the oldest continually operating church in Minnesota, established in 1853.
    Located on D Street, the Sibley House Historic Site is a part of the district.  The house belonged to Henry H. Sibley, the first governor of the State of Minnesota.

Address:
Sibley Memorial Highway, Mendota, MN 55120



Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sibley_House_complex.JPG