Carver Historic District


File:Carver Hist District 1.jpg
    The city of Carver began in 1854 when Norwegian immigrant Axel Jorgenson sold the land he settled in in the winter of 1851.  The town's name was proposed by Minnesota Territorial Governor Alexander Ramsey, after Jonathan Carver, who first explored the area.  Carver served as the main stopping point for traders and immigrants traveling along the Minnesota River.  In 1877 it was officially incorporated as the Village of Carver, becoming one of the biggest settlements in the county by the 1890s.
    Carver's development suffered with the arrival of the railroads, which bypassed Carver and significantly diminished river trade.  From 1920 to 1933 Prohibition took its toll on the town, as many hotels and saloons were forced to close.  When flooding hit in 1965 the town did not have the resources to protect the historic district.  In 1969 a non-profit called Carver-on-the-Minnesota, Inc. was created to preserve the historic town.  They began by fundraising to restore and maintain the Carver Historic District.  In 1980 the Carver Historic District was one of the first in Minnesota to be added to the National Register of Historic Places.  In 2007 Carver was named a Preserve America Community, the eighth to be named in the State of Minnesota.

Address:
399 Broadway St., Carver, MN 55315

Image: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carver_Hist_District_1.jpg