New Ulm Commerical Historic District

New Ulm Commercial Historic District
    The New Ulm Commercial Historic District was constructed predominantly between the early 1880s and 1948.  The U.S.-Dakota War destroyed much of the town prior to 1862, which is why all but two buildings were built after.  In 1881 a tornado damaged much of the commercial district, however the city had already established itself as a center of commerce in the region and recovered quickly.  Local brick plays a major role in the design of the storefronts, and when the Auferdheide brickyards switched to machine-pressing in 1913 it became the dominant building material in town.  In 1916 the Saffert-Gugisberg Cement Company (later American Artstone) set up a plant in New Ulm, and their work was also featured heavily in commercial buildings.  Artstone became especially important following a 1936 fire left $250,000 in damage to the district, and building owners chose a more "modern" look for their storefronts.

Address:
North Minnesota Street between First Street South and Third Street North

Image: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/51757902