Flandrau State Park



http://minnesotaseasons.com/Destinations/Large/Flandrau_State_Park_07.jpg
    Flandrau State Park is deeply intertwined with the history of New Ulm and bears marks from several eras of the town's history.  The park was created in the 1930s as Cottonwood River State Park by the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration.  The CCC and WPA built the camp structures using the National Park Service style, but incorporated elements of the area's German heritage as well.  During WWII the WPA barracks were converted in to German prisoner of war housing, renamed Camp New Ulm.  In 1945 the park was renamed Flandrau State Park after Col. Charles Eugene Flandrau, the commander of the force that defended New Ulm during the U.S.-Dakota War of 1862.  In 1995 the dam put in place by the CCC was demolished due to excessive flooding and a lack of federal funds to rebuild it.
    The park is currently operated by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources and contains 8 miles of foot trails in the summer, which are converted to cross-country skiing and snowshoeing trails in the winter.  Additionally, there are over 90 campsites, cabins, and the historic group center available for campers.  Fishing is typically done in the Cottonwood River, and a pool is available for swimming.

Contact:
Site Address: 1300 Summit Ave., New Ulm, MN 56073
Phone: 507-233-9800
Email: flandrau.statepark@state.mn.us

Best time to contact: 9a.m. - 3p.m.

Visit the Flandrau State Park Website (DNR) for camping rates and additional information.


Photo: http://minnesotaseasons.com/Destinations/Flandrau_State_Park.html