Mankato Union Depot


    The Mankato Union Depot is the only surviving railroad depot in Blue Earth County of the 13 townships along the railroad.  Built in 1896 by competitors Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha Line(CStPM&O)  and the Chicago North-Western Line (CNW) in response to noise complaints from Mankato residents concerning the two separate depots,  it consolidated all rail operations in the town along the river.  Unlike the other rail towns in the county, Mankato does not owe its existence to the depot, as it was founded as a "river town" prior to the arrival of the railroad.  The Union Depot is still a functional rail depot owned by the Chicago Northwestern Transportation Company.
    Union Depot was built by contractor J. B. Nelson & Co., the same company responsible for the Carnegie Art Center.

Address:
112 N. Riverfront Drive, Mankato, MN 56001

Note: The depot is still in use, meaning certain areas are restricted.

Image: http://www.intech.mnsu.edu/cherrington/tour/tourpages/railroad2.htm