Odessa Village Jail

Photo of Odessa Jail
    Built in 1913, the village jail was a staple of small town Minnesota prior to the centralization of services made possible by improvements in communication and transportation.  With the demolition and replacement of the village hall in 1937, the freestanding, two  cell, brick jailhouse became the oldest public building in the town.  The jail was used to house all arrested persons in Odessa (though the overwhelming majority of detainees were the inebriated or petty criminals) until 1945 when the building was condemned.  Since then the structure has remained vacant and intact, the most intact of only two brick jails in the surrounding area.

Not open to the public



Image: http://nrhp.mnhs.org/NRDetails.cfm?NPSNum=86001916