HRT24 BARØY


 

Barøy

 

Built by Trondheims M/V for Ofotens Dampskibsselskab, delivered on 21 February 1952. Shipyard number, 244. Cost, 4,800,000 kroner (the original contract price in June 1946 was 2,300,000 kroner).

 

700 gross, 340 nett tonnes. Registered length 156.0 feet, overall length 177.5 feet, beam 28.1 feet, depth 11.6/16.4 feet. 1,190 BHP, 6-cylinder Atlas Polar diesel. 14 knots.

 

 On Hurtigrute from April 1952 (initially as relief ship for Bergenske), then regularly from 4 September 1953) to spring 1964.

 

Rebuilt, lengthened in 1956 at Bergens M/V, 860 gross tonnes, overall length 208.0 feet.

 

Chartered in May 1964 to Skipsreder Eilertsen of Oslo and then sold in August 1964 to Birger Svendsen & Sønner, Fredrikstad, used for ‘duty-free’ shopping trips to Denmark. In 1965 returned to Ofotens – the Fredrikstad company defaulted on payment. Sold in 1966 for 95,000 pounds sterling to the government of the Gilbert and Ellis Islands, renamed Teraka, and used as training ship. Condemned following mechanical breakdown and scuttled near Betio lighthouse, Tarawa, on 19 June 1973.

 

Profile as in 1952.