HRT22 LYRA


 

Lyra

 

Built by Vulcan Werke of Stettin, Germany, for Neue Dampfer of Stettin, delivered May 1912. Shipyard number, 325.

 

1,474 (later 1,508) gross, 835 nett, 1,612 deadweight tonnes. Overall length 241.5 feet, beam 34.6 feet, depth 15.3 feet. 148 nom. HP, 1,180 IHP, Vulcan triple expansion engine, 11.5 knots.

 

Captured by Russian navy on 1 August 1914 while at St. Petersburg, renamed Fert and used initially as troop transport, being converted to minelayer in 1915. Returned to original owners, assumed original name, in late 1918.

 

Renamed Schlesien in 1922, company renamed Stettiner Dampfer Compagnie in 1923.

 

Sold to Det Bergenske Dampskibsselskab in 1925, renamed Lyra. Used on Bergen to Torshavn and Reykjavik service.

 

Requisitioned by Norwegian Royal Navy in September 1939, for troop transport, escaped to Britain in June 1940 and became part of the Nortraship fleet. Returned to Norway in spring 1945.

 

Used on Bergen to Newcastle route in mid-1940s, making various appearances on the Hurtigrute between 1945 and 1953 mainly in relief capacity.

 

Sold in February 1954 to Sivert Bakke, Bergen, renamed Nora. Sold in May 1954 to Adel Abdul-Wahib, of Beirut, renamed Lyra, used on pilgrim service linking Lebanon, Egypt and Jeddah (for Mecca). Stranded off Tor in the Red Sea on 9 July 1958, total loss.