HRR6 KONG GUDRØD


 

Kong Gudrød

 

Built by Trondhjems M/V, Trondheim, for Det Nordenfjeldke Dampskibsselskab, delivered in September 1910. Shipyard number, 143.

 

1,091 gross, 648 nett, 1,000 deadweight tonnes. Registered length 215.3 feet, overall length 226.9 feet overall (some sources state 237.2 feet), beam 30.9 feet, depth 21.8 feet. 132 nom. HP, 800 IHP, TMV triple expansion engine.

 

Designed for kombinerte services, used initially on Hamburg to Kirkenes stamlinje. On Hurtigrute as relief ship from 1929 to early 1936.

 

Sold in 1936 to Pärnu Laeva of Pärnu, renamed Estonia. In August 1940 taken over by Staatlische Estnische Schiffahrts-Gesellschaft, Tallinn. On 22 June 1941 captured by MTB S27 and MTB S28 and taken to Turku. Later registered under ownership of Schmidt, Witte & Co. of Danzig, from 1945 of Hamburg. In 1953 taken over by Landesbank & Giro-Zentrale Schleswg-Holstein, Kiel. Sold to Carl Waap, of Kiel. Rebuilt at Werft Nobiskrug, Rendsburg, as cargo motorship with engine aft (7-cylinder 2T EV Sulzer DM, of 1942). Renamed Volker Waap. Sold in 1954 to S. Stein of Hamburg, renamed Mönkedam. New engine (8-cylinder 2T EV Sulzer DM of 1,200 BHP) in 1956. Sold in 1963 to Lübeck-Linie of Lübeck. Renamed Overbeck, used for automotive transport between Sweden and Germany. Sold in 1967 to Antwerpe Kustvaart, Antwerpen, renamed Boom. Sold in 1968 to G. Tsortzis, K. Sykias and P. Bouldournis of Pireás, renamed Eftychia. Renamed Phaedra in 1970. Believed sold to Philippine Inter Island Lines in 1977, and possibly still in service in mid-1990s. Other sources suggest she remained in Greece and was withdrawn in 1993, still others indicate that she finally disappeared from the shipping registers in 1997. Take your pick!