HRR14 OTTAR JARL


 

Ottar Jarl

 

Built by Lake Washington Shipyard, Houghton, USA, as W.B. Foshay for W.B. Foshay, delivered in September 1929.

 

1,262 gross, 716 nett, 815 deadweight tonnes. Overall length 186.0 feet, beam 35.2 feet, depth 19.8 feet. 1,120 BHP, two Washington Iron Works 8-cylinder 4T EV DM diesels, 11 knots.

 

Sold in 1929 to Northland Ltd. (Kaye, Son & Co.) of London, UK. Renamed Northland. Sold in 1931 to Northland Transportation Co. of Ketchikan, USA. Sold in January 1934 to Gilbert W. Skinner of Seattle. Employed on Alaskan coastal services.

 

Requisitioned by US Army in 1941, registered as PR.803 Northland.

 

Purchased in 1946 for 325,000 dollars by Det Nordenfjeldske Dampskibsselskab, renamed Ottar Jarl.

 

Entered service in July 1947, on coastal kombinerte routes. Replaced Sigurd Jarl on Hurtigrute from 15 December 1947 until February 1948, while the latter steamer was out of service. In February 1948 inaugurated Nordenfjeldske’s new cargo service (fish) from Kirkenes to Grimsby.

 

Sold in October 1955 to Refrigerated Shipping Co. of Puerto Limón, renamed Titika. Grounded at Keflavik, Iceland, on 1 November 1955, presumably on delivery voyage, with a cargo of fish. Refloated on 24 April 1956 and towed to Dordrecht for breaking up, arriving on 25 July 1956.