Green Chili Pork Tamales
Miz Helen's Kitchen
2 1/2 lb. Boston Butt Pork Roast
Mix the following ingredients for a rub
2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp Chipotle Chili Powder
2 cups chopped Green Chile's
1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Wash the Roast and pat it dry cover the Roast with the rub.
- Sear the Roast in 1 Tbs Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a very hot skillet
- Place the Roast in the warm Slow Cooker pan.
- Add the Green Chile's, Garlic, and the water.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours
- Take the Roast out and let it stand for 5 minutes,then pull the meat apart with forks
Makes 12 Tamale
2 cups Masa Harina
2 cups Boiling Water
11 tablespoons vegetable shortening or Lard chilled
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chicken stock, chilled
- In a mixer with paddle attachment mix the Masa Harina, cumin, and Cayenne pepper
- Add the boiling water in a steady stream to the mixing bowl
while the mixer is on medium speed. Continue to mix until the dough
forms a ball. Continue to mix for five minutes.
- Transfer the dough ball to a clean bowl and refrigerate the dough for one hour.
- Returning the dough to the mixer, beat the dough on medium to high for five more minutes.
- With the mixer running add the vegetable shortening 2
tablespoons at a time and mix well with each addition until the entire
shortening amount has been added and the mixture is smooth.
- Combine the salt baking powder and chilled Chicken stock,
slowing adding the mixture to the dough while the mixer is running. Mix
until thoroughly combined.
Prepare the Tamale
- Fill the prepared Corn Husks with the dough
- Put 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling down the center of the dough