Both my mother and I recieved new cameras for Christmas. The next step was to have cases for them to prevent bumps and scratches.
The process started with a simple swatch:
Two of them to be exact. One with a US10 size needle and one with a US11 size needle knit with the hand dyed kool-aid malabrigo yarn I recieved in my last package of . The two different needle sizes were to test the thickness and shrinkage of each swatch. I measured the swatches before hand and wrote down the measurements.
Then a trip through the washing machine in a knotted pillowcase with a pair of jeans for company:
You can see in the bottom swatch where the top edge is a bit thicker. I experimented with an applied i-cord border sorta like the felted bags I have seen online.
The felted wool lost an inch and a half on each side, so I began with a couple of figures in my head and started on a new camera case for my SD600. I knit it flat back and forth, folded it in half (hence in the photo below the knit piece is wider than it is longer), and then seamed up the bottom and one side using matress stitch.
Into the wash it went on hot/cold, but it came out way too big even after two washes. However, my mom didn't have a case for her camera so...a flopped idea was craftily recycled.
I love how the vibrant colors has softened and melted together. It gives the bag a more calming and soothing tone.
I knit a new and smaller version for my camera as well as a seperate long strip to be felted into a closure for my mom's case.
*washing machine interval*
I hand sewed in the lining with nylon thread and some blue gingham cotton fabric I used for some lavender sachets earlier in the year. Ouch! I kept pricking myself with the needle! Finally, my dad insisted we go pick up a thimble from Wal-Mart.
The lining doesnt quite go with the case's colors, but it was all the fabric I had in the house having left my main stash up at the apartment in Virginia and I didn't want to put off finishing the camera case too long. I used backstitch and made double knots behind the fabric. The lining was fairly easy to cut out. I just traced the felted peice's outline onto the fabric and added half an inch to the top and bottom.
The lining will make any static disappear and also create a soft place for the camera's screen to be protected. A felted case means that there will be no holes for pens and other pointy objects to poke through. I still use a camera screen protector however which will arrive in the mail anyday now.
The long thin strip I had knit earkuer was sewn onto the outside of the case, the knots hidden by the lining I attached afterwards. I knit the strip in stockinette with a garter stitch border on each side. In the photo you can see my stitches where I sewed in a small rectangle to attach it.
At Wal-mart I bought some heat-transfer velcro and attached it to the case and underside of the strip:
I am very bad at sewing, so the iron-on velcro was a god-send. All I did was steam the velcro from the underside of the fabric and let it dry overnight.
Unfortunately, I broke Vinh's iron at this point. The little heat setting knob decided to go funky on me and break, spilling water everywhere. But all is good! I used my mom's old iron to finish everything up.
Voila! It fits perfectly.
And for FYI, the iron-on velcro works perfectly. I was a bit concerned that the velcro would come off, but after repeated testings it has worked well.
As for my second try in felting:
A nice camera case for my small Canon SD600!
I let it dry around a small cooking wine bottle that I found in the kitchen. Snuging it on tightly. It fit *just* right. Any smaller and I would have had to use the bag as a notions holder.
I lined the case with the same blue gingham fabric. I also cut a hole in the top flap for the button and another hole up at the top for the camera's cord to slide through. This way I can thread the camera cord through the hole and let the camera (and case) dangle from my wrist for easy portability.
I found the cherry button in the bottom of my notions bag. It was a surprise since I had thought that I had packed away all my cherry buttons in a small bag up at the apartment. It pays to be disoganized sometimes.
For my mom's case I forgot to add a case flap, so I had to sew on a seperate one (the long thin strip I had knitted). On the second time around, I remembered to pick up some stitches along the top and knit downwards for an attached flap. I knit a little more than halfway down the case, and when it felted it was just the right length. The flap was knit using stockinette with two stitches of garter on each side for durability.
In the photo you can see the applied I-cord bind off.
You can see the side seams here. I decided not to knit in the round since I didn't know exactly how much it would shrink and (most importantly) I didn't have any size US10 DPNs.
For both bags I did an applied i-cord border for the top and the bottom of the case flaps. This makes a sturdier bag lip.
The bags weren't finished until after Christmas due to the time it took to dry the felted peices. The US10 was very thick and I wish I had used it to knit the second bag, but instead I used US11's which resulted in a looser fabric. In fact, my mom's case was so sturdy that it retained a lot of water and dried out very slowly. At one point I thought it was dry, stuck in the camera and woke up the next morning to find an even cover of dew over her camera! I quickly whipped it out and *shew* the camera was fine. But it was scary! So I let it air out for another day or so.