Hasegawa, T., †Pahuski,
M., †Glavich, G., †Orians, J., Galadima, H., †Lewis. H., Esquela-Kerscher, A. An oncogenic role for the X-linked miR-888 cluster
in human prostate cancer. Manuscript
- *Hadley, M., *Lewis, H., Orians, J., Madric, K., Troyer, D., Lance, R. and Esquela-Kerscher, A. The heterogeneity of microRNA expression in
metastaic prostate cancer. Manuscript in preparation. (*Authors
contributed equally to this work.)
- Jo, J., Breving, K., Madric, K., Slack, F.J. and Esquela-Kerscher, A. The overlapping functions of the lin-4 and let-7 miRNA families during C.
elegans development. Manuscript in
- Lewis, H. Lance, R., Troyer, D., Beydoun, H., Hadley, M., Orians, J., Benzine, T., Madric, K., Semmes, J., Drake, R., Esquela-Kerscher, A. (2013) miR-888 is an expressed prostatic secretions-derived microRNA that promotes prostate cell growth and migration. Cell Cycle 2014 Jan 15;13(2):227-39. doi: 10.4161/cc.26984. Epub 2013 Nov 7.
- Allen*, J.D. and Esquela-Kerscher, A. (2013) Gongylonema pulchrum infection in a resident of Williamsburg, Virginia verified by genetic analysis. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene, Oct;89(4):755-7. (*Collaboration with Dr. Jonathan Allen, The College of WIlliam & Mary)
- Kato, M., Paranjape, T., Ullrich, R., Nallur, S., Gillespie, E., Keane, K., Esquela-Kerscher, A., Weidhaas, J.B., and Slack, F.J. (2009). The mir-34 microRNA is required for the DNA damage response in vivo in C. elegans and in vitro in human cells. Oncogene. May 4 [Epub ahead of print]. Cited by 73.
- Esquela-Kerscher, A, Trang, P, Wiggins, J.F., Patrawala, L., Cheng, A., Ford, L., Weidhaas, J.B., Brown, D., Bader, A.G., Slack, F.J. (2008). The let-7 microRNA reduces tumor growth in mouse models of lung cancer. Cell Cycle Mar 15;7(6):759-64. Cited by 317.
- Johnson, C.D.*, Esquela-Kerscher, A.*, Stefani, G.*, Byrom, M., Kelnar, K., Ovcharenko, D., Wilson, M., Wang, X., Shelton, J., Shingara, J., Chin, L., Brown, D., Slack, F.J. (2007). The let-7 MicroRNA Represses Cell Proliferation Pathways in Human Cells. Cancer Res 15; 67(16):7713-22. (*These authors contributed equally to this work.) Cited by 599.
- Esquela-Kerscher, A., Johnson, S.M., Bai, L., Saito, K., Partridge, J., Reinert, K., and Slack, F.J. (2005). Post-embryonic expression of C. elegans microRNAs belonging to the lin-4 and let-7 families in the hypodermis and reproductive system. Dev Dyn 234, 868-877. Cited by 68.
- Schulman, B., Esquela-Kerscher, A., Slack, F.J. (2005). Temporal expression of lin-41 and the microRNAs let-7 and mir-125 during mouse embryogenesis. Dev Dyn 234, 1046-1054. Cited by 103.
- Zimmers, T.A., Jin, X., Hsiao, E.C., McGrath, S.A., Esquela, A.F., Koniaris, L.G (2005). Growth differentiation factor-15/macrophage inhibitory cytokine-1 induction after kidney and lung injury. Shock 23(6), 543-548. Cited by 79.
- Esquela, A.F. and Lee, S.-J. (2003). Regulation of metanephric kidney development by growth/differentiation factor 11. Dev Biol 257, 356-370. (Esquela, A.F. - corresponding author) Cited by 62.
- Zimmers, T.A., Davies, M.V., Koniaris, L.G., Haynes, P., Esquela, A.F., Tomkinson, K.N., McPherron, A.C., Wolfman, N.M., and Lee S.-J. (2002). Induction of cachexia in mice by systemically administered myostatin. Science 296, 1486-1488. Cited by 515.
- Esquela, A.F., Zimmers, T.A., Koniaris, L.G., Sitzman, J.V., and Lee, S.-J. (1997). Transient down-regulation of Inhibin ßC following partial hepatectomy. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 235, 553-556.
- McGrath, S.A., Esquela, A.F., and Lee, S.-J. (1995). Oocyte-specific expression of growth/differentiation factor-9. Mol Endocrinol 9,131-136. Cited by 395.
Hasegawa, T. and Esquela-Kerscher, A. Of mirs and men: MicroRNAs and Prostate Cancer. Review article for submission to MicroRNA Diagnostics and Therapeutics. (Readied for submission).
- Esquela-Kerscher, A. (2014) The lin-4 microRNA: the ultimate micromanager. News & Views for Cell Cycle, Feb 28;13(7).
- Lewis, H. & Esquela-Kerscher, A. (2012) The let-7 microRNA family: Big roles in development and disease.
Frontiers in Research
Articles Series, Nature Education/Bedford
LH, Drake RR, Esquela-Kirscher A,
Lance RS, Semmes OJ, Troyer DA. (2011) Molecular pathology of prostate cancer.
Cancer Biomark. 9(1-6):441-59. (Note name
misspelled at time of publication).
- Jo, J & Esquela-Kerscher, A. (2011). A growing molecular toolbox for the functional analysis of microRNAs in Caenorhabditis elegans. Briefings in Functional Genomics. Jul;10(4):175-80.2011.
- Breving, K. & Esquela-Kerscher, A. (2010). The Complexities of MicroRNA Regulation: mirandering around the rules. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 42, 1316-1329. Cited by 80.
- Esquela-Kerscher, A., and Slack, F.J. (2006). Oncomirs – MicroRNAs with a role in cancer. Nature Reviews Cancer 6, 259-269. (Featured cover article) Cited by 3,053.
- Esquela-Kerscher, A., and Slack, F.J. (2004). The age of high-throughput microRNA profiling. Nature Meth 1, 106-107.
Hasegawa, T., Lewis,
H. & Esquela-Kerscher, A. The role of non-coding
RNAs in prostate cancer.
Invited book chapter for “Translating MicroRNAs
into the Clinic Volume III” in the Translational
Medicine Series, Elsevier Press, Editor: Jeffrey Laurence. In Press 2016.
- Lewis, H. & Esquela-Kerscher, A. MicroRNA Epigenetic Systems and Cancer. Book chapter for “Systems Biology of Cancer”, Cambridge University Press, Editor: Samual Thiagalingam. 2015.
- Esquela-Kerscher, A. MicroRNAs Function as Tumor Suppressor Genes and Oncogenes. Invited book chapter for “MicroRNAs in Developmentand Cancer”, Imperial College Press, Editor Frank Slack. 2010.
- Weidhaas, J.B.*, Esquela-Kerscher, A.*, Ratner, E., Slack, F.J. MicroRNA Detection and Profiling. Book chapter in Methods in Molecular Biology. The Humana Press Inc. 2008. (*These authors contributed equally to this work.)
INTERVIEWS & COMMENTARY ABOUT OUR WORK
- miR-888: Hit it when you see it! News & Views article by Andreas G. Bader. Cell Cycle. 2013 Dec 17;13(3).
- How cool is this? A worm in my mouth by Tamara Dietrich. Oct 12, 2013. Daily Press. Story appeared in the Los Angeles Times.
- How to Read a Scientific Paper (About That Researcher With a Nematode in His Mouth) by Deborah Blum (Pulitzer Prize science writer). Oct 14, 2013. Elemental, wired.com.
- Scientist researches parasite that he removed from his own body. Article by Joseph McClain. Oct 1, 2013. College of WIlliam and Mary website. (http://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2013/scientist-researches-parasite-that-he-removed-from-his-own-body123.php).
Balancing science and family: tidbits of wisdom from those who've tried it and succeeded.
Bascom-Slack CA. Yale J Biol Med. 2011 Sep;84(3):219-25.
Small RNAs and the Clinic by Matthew Dublin, Genome Technology (2011).
GEN Tech Tips: miRNA-RNAi edited by K. John Morrow, Jr., Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (2011).
miRNAs’ Therapeutic Potential by Patricia F. Diamond, Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News (2010) – Cover Article.
Tumor-suppressing miRNAs by Tim Fulmer, Science–Business exchange SciBX 2(26) (2009).
Small RNAs Are Raising Big Expectations by Karyn Hede, Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Jun 16;101(12):840-1 (2009).