Episcopal Church Timeline
(Historical events are listed in chronological sequence.)
by Aubrey Wiley – 2008
Start - Closing
Church of England –
Circa 1765 - 1776 Anglican Church built on Court between 10 and 11th Sts., where 1007 Court Street
stands today. Lynchburg was not chartered as a town until 1786 so the community was called “Lynch’s Ferry” when this Church of England church was operating. It was surrounded by cemetery called “God’s Acre.” The church structure was wood, 18 by 24 feet, one story and it became “disestablished” from the Diocese of London during the Revolutionary War which was 1775-1781. The Diocese of Virginia was organized in May 1785 and consecrated by the Bishop of London in 1790. After being closed by the Church of England in 1776, the former church building on Court Street became a school which burned 1802. In 1806 some graves were moved to the new City Cemetery. As more houses were built along Court Street, more graves were moved 1879-1880.
1790 Diocese of Virginia consecrated. In 1804, a visiting Methodist minister called Lynchburg
the ”Seat of Satan’s Kingdom!”
1817, Sept. 11 Bishop Richard Channing Moore visited Lynchburg and spoke at the Methodist Meeting
House located on the sw side of Church Street between 10th & 12th Sts.
St. Paul’s –
1822, Sept. 14 Friends of the Protestant Episcopal Church met at Franklin Hotel to organize.
1822-1826 Episcopalians met in the Mason’s Hall at northwest corner of 9th and Church Sts.
1826 Services held in their new building on 7th Street between Church and Court Sts.
Building still stands.”
1843 Rev. William Kinckle comes to St. Paul’s.
1851 A new St. Paul’s is built on the southwest corner of 7th and Church Sts. Today it stands but with the original front 12 feet missing. The bell tower was
in the back left corner, ghost images of the windows show on the 7th Street side.
1895 – present New St. Paul’s finished and first service at 7th & Clay Sts (625 Clay Street).
1826 – present Trinity held first service on Coffey Rd., Bedford County.
Grace Memorial –
1859 Meetings held in private homes to discuss forming a new church on Diamond Hill.
1860 Construction started. The first name is Grace Church Moore Parrish.
1866 First service held at the church building on Campbell Courthouse Rd. (Grace St)1902 New building on the same site, 16th and Grace Sts. (1601 Grace Street).
1926 Merged with St. Paul’s.
September 1927 Meeting at Fort Hill Club to discuss moving to Fort Hill section.
July 1927 Property purchased on New Hampshire Avenue from M. N. Moorman, Jr.
1928 – present First service at New Hampshire Avenue location.
1871- circa 1968 New building on Main St, Madison Hts., between 5th and 6th Sts. (509 Main Street).
It was a Mission of Grace Memorial.
1877 – circa 1896 217 Cabell St. Mission of Grace Memorial. Trustees of Grace bought the land 1877.
Some years prior to being sold to Standard Notion Co,it was a "neighborhood mission.”
1878 – circa 1910 Marsh and McKinley Sts. (501 McKinley, which became Fort Ave.1927).It was a
mission of Grace Memorial (Beeland says the building was owned by St. Paul’s).
1892 Diocese of Southern Virginia formed.
Chapel of the
Good Shepherd –
Circa 1905 – circa 1967 1401 Wise St. Organized by Dr. Lloyd of Grace about 1905 to serve
the African American population of the neighborhood.
St. John’s –
1912 – present First service held in new building on Elmwood Ave. near Rivermont Ave.
1919 Diocese of Southwest Virginia formed.
St. Barnabas –
1959 First services held at Virginia Episcopal School.
1963 – present First service held in the new building on Mimosa Ave.
Aubrey Wiley - December 19, 2008