Santa Fe Institute, Santa Fe, NM
Graduate Workshop in Computational Social Science Modeling and Complexity, Summer 2013
Complex Systems Summer School, Summer 2009
Architectural Association School of Architecture, London, UK, Spring 2004
Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA, 2000-01
- Data Analysis: R, STATA, SPSS, Pajek, SIENA, UCINet, HLM
Bulgarian (native), English (fluent), French and Russian (excellent
reading, good speaking and writing), Spanish and German (basic)
FELLOWSHIPS AND GRANTS
- Best Master’s Thesis -- finalist, Utrecht University, 2011
- Valedictorian, Graduate School of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Utrecht University, 2010
- Best Student Prize, Sociology and Social Research, Utrecht University, 2010
- Russell Sage Doctoral Fellowship, Cornell University, 2014-15
- Graduate School Conference Travel Grant, Cornell University, 2011, 2013, 2014
- NSF SES-1303526 Doctoral Dissertation Research Improvement Grant for “The Social Contagion of Generosity,” Co-PI with Michael Macy PI, 2013
- NSF SES-1260348 Sociology Grant for “Generalized Reciprocity: Understanding the Social Contagion of Altruistic Behavior,” Co-Investigator with Michael Macy PI, 2013
- Russell Sage Doctoral Fellowship, Cornell University, 2011-12
- Thanks to Scandinavia Scholarship, Cornell University, 2010-11
- Utrecht Excellence Scholarship, Utrecht University, 2008-10
- International House Graduate Fellowship, University of Chicago, 2006-07
- University Full-Tuition Scholarship, University of Chicago, 2006-07
- Paul E. Gray Endowed UROP, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Summer 2004
* equal authorshipOTHER PUBLICATIONS
WORK IN PROGRESSTEACHING EXPERIENCE
CONFERENCE AND WORKSHOP PRESENTATIONS
- Milena Tsvetkova and Michael W. Macy. “The Contagion of Prosocial Behavior and the Emergence of Voluntary-Contribution Communities.” Under review.
- Milena Tsvetkova and David Sumpter. “An Experimental Study of Segregation Mechanisms.” In preparation.
- Milena Tsvetkova and David Sumpter. “Classroom Seating Neighbors and Academic Achievement.” In preparation.
- Milena Tsvetkova and Milen Nikolov. “Mechanisms for Long-Tailed Degree Distributions in
Social Interaction Networks.” In preparation.
- “Web-Based Real-Time Multi-Player Games for Social Experiments.” GESIS Computational Social Science Winter Symposium, Cologne, Germany, December 2014
- “The Social Contagion of Generosity.” 6th International Network of Analytical Sociologists Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, June 2013.
- “Microfoundations of Inequality.” International Sociological Association Eleventh International Laboratory for PhD Students in Sociology, Taipei, Taiwan, June 2012.
- “Mechanisms for Long-Tailed Degree Distributions in Social Interaction Networks.” International Sunbelt Social Networks Conference, Redondo Beach, CA, March 2012.
- “The Signal Importance of Noise.” Cooperative Relations Seminar, Utrecht University, Netherlands, September 2011.
- “Reciprocity as Micro-Foundation of (In)equality.” American Sociological Association Annual Meeting: Regular Session on Social Networks, Las Vegas, NV, August 2011.
- “Egalitarian Networks from Asymmetric Relations: Coordination on Reciprocity In a Social Game of Hawk-Dove.” 9th Workshop on Networks in Economics and Sociology: Dynamic Networks, Utrecht University, Netherlands, June 2010.
- Visiting Researcher, invited by David Sumpter, Department of Mathematics, Uppsala University, Fall 2014
- Visiting Researcher, invited by Peter Hedstrom, Institute for Futures Studies, Stockholm, 2013-14
- Research Assistant for Douglas Heckathorn, NIH Grant “Statistical and Sociological Development of Respondent-Driven Sampling,” Department of Sociology, Cornell University, Spring 2013
- Research Assistant for Kim Weeden, NSF ADVANCE Grant “Increasing the Participation and Advancement of Women in Academic Science and Engineering Careers,” Department of Sociology, Cornell University, Spring 2012
- Research Assistant for Ineke Maas and Marco van Leeuwen, ERC Advanced Grant: “Towards
Open Societies? Trends, Variations and Driving Forces of
Intergenerational Social Mobility in Europe over the Past Three
Centuries,” Department of Sociology, Utrecht University, 2009-10
- Research Assistant for Charity Scribner, Plotting Terror in Germany, 1968 to the Present, European Studies, MIT, Summer 2004
Assistant for Vincent Buskens, Master’s course “Theory Construction and
Model Building,” Department of Sociology, Utrecht University, Fall 2009
- MSCOPE Intern at Center for the Presentation of Science, University of Chicago and Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago, IL, 2006-07