Project02: 3D Solid Modeling 02
Table of Contents
The objective of this assignment was to expose us to a few different techniques involved in Pro/Engineer as well as draw parts more efficiently. Some new features we used were helical sweeps, and assembly-making.
Part A was given to us to make us think and become more efficient in drawing parts in Pro/Engineer. The trick to this part was using only one extrusion and one cut. The first step involved drawing a side profile of the part and extruding it. Next, the cut was carefully drawn on the front plane of the object, referencing the edged created from the extrusion.
Part B is a Phillips head screw. The purpose of this part was to make us think how we should extrude the cut required to make the “+” of the head of the screw. It is noted that the “+” is at an angle as well. I extruded the shaft of the screw with a circle sketch, and extruded a square sketch above it to make the head. Next, a revolved cut was made to create the spherical head shape. The next step involved drawing a profile of the cut for one half of the “+”. I extruded it symmetrically and created a pattern with 2 pieces at 90º to create the other half of the “+” of the head.
Part C was a simple lesson on how to draw something like a compression spring using a helical sweep. We inserted the helical sweep protrusion, and made it constant, thru axis, and right handed. We then added our centerline and trajectory. Next, we edited the length, diameter, and pitch of the spring.
Here is a list of all the parts that comprise the entire pulley assembly (fig. 3.1.1-3.1.7). There are multiple views of each part to give great detail about everything that makes up the assembly.
This is not the final view of the base plate – some changes were necessary to make in the assembly window (the u-cut beneath the pulley wheel).
The purpose of this was to familiarize us with making 2D sketched from 3D models of parts. We made a front and side cutaway view of the pulley wheel. We also made a detailed cutout section and dimensioned everything appropriately (fig. 220.127.116.11).
The aim of the assembly assignment was to introduce us to bringing together many separate parts to form one conglomerate. This involves using mates, inserting objects, and orienting them. We were able to make a part (the key) in the assembly window. This exercise also gave us practice making changes to dimensions on the fly. Below are a few different views of the assembly (fig. 3.2a-d).
Practice using the exploded view was also a part of this lesson. We were able to make an exploded view by clicking view and explode view. We had to rearrange the parts to make it easier to see. We did this by editing the explode view, where we selected axes and planes to move parts along until we were satisfied.
Toogood, Roger. Pro/ENGINEER WILDFIRE 3.0. Waltham, MA: Parametric Technology Corporation,