Home






MIDLOTHIAN BOWLING ASSOCIATION


Welcome to the website of Midlothian Bowling Association which was founded on 30th March 1885 following a series of discussions by representatives of Dalkeith, Loanhead, Lasswade, Bonnyrigg, Musselburgh and Portobello bowling clubs and having as its objects:
  • the establishment of a local governing body for the regulation of all matters affecting the game of bowls 
  • the control of an annual competition for the custody of a trophy.

The founder clubs together purchased a trophy in 1885 for this competition which was to be known as the Midlothian Trophy and has been competed for ever since. Originally it was a rinks knock-out competition but is now played for between three rinks from each club. 
The inaugural winners of the Midlothian Trophy were Bonnyrigg Club represented by John Gilchrist, Robert Clark, John Clark and George Clark (skip). 

In 1890 through the kindness of Lord Rosebery the Rosebery Trophy was presented to the Association for competition amongst the club champions for the year of the member clubs and has continued to be annually competed for since that year.                                                                                                                         
The inaugural winner was David Duncan Springfield Club

 In 1897 the Carmichael Trophy was presented to the Association by Sir Thomas Gibson Carmichael MP for Midlothian for competition by one rink from each club and  has been annually competed for since that year.                                                                                                                                                                               The inaugural winners were the Loanhead Private Club skipped by A. Wilson.

In 1910 the Elibank Trophy in the form of an ancient Scottish drinking quaich was gifted to the Association  by the Master of Elibank, the Hon. Thomas Murray MP for Midlothian. This trophy is competed for annually on the same day as the Midlothian Trophy and is played for by three rinks representing the second strength of the respective clubs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 The inaugural winners were Slateford Club.

In 1913 Captain later Sir John A. Hope donated the Hope Trophy to the Association which is competed for annually in a two bowl pairs competition by the member clubs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 The inaugural winners were Walter and William Rankin of the Balerno Club.

In 1969 a past Secretary of the Association Mr. J. Glover presented the Glover Trophy to be competed for annually in a triples competition by the member clubs.         The inaugural winners were Rosslyn Club.

In 1977 the McIntosh Trophy was presented to the Association by the Scottish Internationalist and World and Commonwealth player Alex McIntosh to be competed for annually by the junior bowlers under 25 years of age of member clubs in a singles competition. The inaugural winner was Newbattle Club.

In 1980 Mr J. Gammon (Abbot Travel) presented the Top Ten Trophy to the Association. The winners go on to prepresent their club and Midlothian Bowling Association in the Inter County Tournament the following year. The inaugural winners were East Calder Club.

In 1985 the member clubs presented the Douglas Trophy to the Association to be competed for annually in a rinks competition by senior players of the member clubs.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 The inaugural winners were Newbattle Club skipped by A. Campbell. 

In 2002 the Champion of Champions Trophy was presented to the Association by Mr Sam Kennedy a past President and Honorary Member of the Association.             The inaugural winner was R. Ritchford Jnr Rosslyn Club. 

   

 



   

















  


Subpages (1): Bowls Scotland