15 hours funding – 15 hours funding will automatically apply the term after your child turns 3. You do not need to apply for this. At the start of term, we will give you a form to complete and return which you will then be asked to sign at the start of each funding block.

Please note: When your child is eligible for government funding, eligibility is worked out from birth date and can only be claimed at the beginning of the term following a child’s 3rd birthdayThis is the same for the 30 hours funding also. 

30 hours funding for working parents - This scheme is for:

  • Parents or carers are working (or the sole parent is working in a lone parent family). This can include if the parent or career is on statutory sick leave, maternity, paternity leave or claiming certain benefits.
  • Each parent has a weekly minimum income equivalent to 16 hours at national minimum wage or living wage; (parents do not necessarily need to actually work 16 hours a week, but rather their earnings must reflect at least 16 hours of work at national minimum wage or national living wage)
  • Neither parent has an income of more than £100,000 per year.
  • Both parents or carers live in England
  • If unemployed, both parents must become employed within 14 days of applying unless one of the above applies

To apply and check on eligibility for 30 hours funding, please click here.

Please note when applying for this funding you must do so before the below dates to qualify for the following term:

    31st August for Autumn Term recommend you apply the end of June/start of July due to volume of applicants        for this term.

    31st December for Spring Term - recommend you apply the end of November

    31st March for Summer Term recommend you apply the end of February

An example to keep in mind when considering when to apply, if your child turns three on 25 March, and you apply for the 30-hours on 27 March, your child will be eligible for a place from 1 April (i.e. the start of the spring term). However, if your child turns three on 25 March but you don’t apply for the 30 hours until 5 April, your child won’t be eligible for a place until 1 September (i.e. the start of the autumn term).

The earliest you can apply for this funding is when your child is 2 years and 36 weeks old, however you must reconfirm every 3 months for the code to remain valid.

If you are eligible you will receive a code, please send this and your National Insurance number to the Pre School Administrator

Please noteYou are required to reconfirm codes every three months to keep them active. It is a parents responsibility to monitor and do this. Failure to do so before the deadline will result in the code expiring and we will have to adjust your claim to county to 15, billing for the rest

If you need to speak to HMRC regarding eligibility or if you have any questions, their number is 0300 123 4097 and for more information please see:

2 Year funding - For those who think they maybe eligible for 2 year funding, please ensure your go to the above link and complete the online checker. If you are eligible you will receive a code which then needs emailing to the Pre School Administrator. Please don't apply more than 6 weeks before the start of term as codes do expire. Also funding is awarded from the county the Pre School is located in so even if you live in Oxford, you need to apply via Northamptonshire. 

To apply please go to the following link.

Early Years Pupil Premium (EYPP) – Children who are currently claiming the Free Entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds, who meet certain eligibility criteria, could be eligible for the EYPP. This is a premium available to the childcare provider to be used to improve facilities, equipment and learning experiences to benefit the growth and development of your child. Children will be eligible if their parents are in receipt of one or more of the following benefits:

Income support

  • Income based jobseekers allowance
  • Income related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (providing you’re not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16190)
  • Working Tax Credit run-on

OR if they have been:

  • Looked after by the local Authority for at least one day
  • Have been adopted from care
  • Have left care through special guardianship; and subject to a child arrangement order setting out with whom the child is to live. 

If you think you may be eligible, you need to visit the Northamptonshire County Council online and complete the questionnaire. You will be given a decision immediately along with a reference number which you need to give us. 

Childcare Vouchers - Middleton Cheney Pre-School Ltd accepts most childcare vouchers. These can provide an income tax and national insurance advantage to whichever parent claims them.  For more information, speak to your HR department in the first instance as unfortunately some employees have closed this scheme to new applicants. If you are able to join, please email for our account code.

Child Tax Credit – If you think you are eligible for Child Tax Credit, for more information and details on how to apply, please go to

Tax free Childcare – This is another relatively new scheme where the government will pay £2 for every £8 you pay your childcare provider via an online account. You then log into this account and pay your fees for that term. Its essentially like a savings account so you need to be careful how much you pay into it and don’t end up with a large balance you might not need when your child qualifies for 15 or 30 hours funding.  

The criteria is the same as the 30 hours funding, so if you (and your partner, if you have one) are:


  • in work - or getting parental leave, sick leave or annual leave
  • each earning at least the National Minimum Wage or Living Wage for 16 hours a week

For more information on eligibility and FAQ’s please go to:  

Please note: You cannot get Tax-Free Childcare at the same time as claiming Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, Universal Credit or childcare vouchers. Which scheme you’re better off with depends on your situation. Use the childcare calculator at to work out which type of support is best for you.

If you require any further information or advice please feel free to speak to Jacqui or Emma. The following website is also helpful: