posted Apr 10, 2012, 9:33 AM by Michelle Stern
updated Apr 10, 2012, 9:40 AM
For extra credit, you may conduct a family experiment: Try to find out the inheritance pattern of who has smelly "asparagus pee."
- Serve asparagus to as many members of your family as possible (and / or call long distance relatives and ask them if they are affected by eating asparagus.)
- Collect data on: gender, who has asparagus pee and who does not have asparagus pee
- Construct a family pedigree (with a legend) showing who has the trait and whether or not it is dominant or recessive. I would recommend using the letter "A" or "a" to represent the alleles involved.
- For more information about how to construct a pedigree, please visit this website: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucbhjow/b241/mendel_1.html
- Title your pedigree: Pedigree of the ___ Family for the Trait of ____
- For a couple of extra points, include photos of your family members eating asparagus!
If you need some ideas for how to prepare asparagus, here are some delicious recipes: