You will need to have a Google Account to use Google Docs. If you have a Gmail account, you already have access to all the tools Google offers. If you don't have a Gmail account, you have two options:
- Click here to get to the website to create a Google account using your current e-mail address. You'll need to enter your current e-mail address (this will be your user name for your Google account) and create a password you'll want to use to sign into your Google account. Once you complete the application, you'll receive an e-mail asking you to verify your request. Click on the link provided, and you are on your way.
- Click here to go to the website to create a Gmail account. Once you create a Gmail account, you'll have access to all of Google's features and tools. You'll need to provide Google with a bit more information, including your name. You'll also be asked to provide a security question and answer. Once you complete the application and verification process, you'll be able to access all Google's products
Once you have an account, go to the Google start page and sign in.
You will be able to access Docs either through the list of blue underlined options at the top left hand side of the page, or under the drop-down menu under more
You come to the Documents List Page.
From here you will be able to:
- begin a New < Document
- or Upload Files. Here's some info on uploading:
- You can Drag and Drop files from your hard drive or Select files to upload
- When you upload a text document, spreadsheet, presentation, or drawing you will have the option to "Convert documents, spreadsheets & presentations to Google Docs format." While any format file (even video) can be stored in your Google Docs account, you'll have to convert files the Google Docs format to be able to use the cool online edit and collaboration features.
- You can choose to convert PDF and image files to Google Docs documents. If you do this, you'll be able to edit the PDF in document.
- You can choose to upload a file directly into a Destination folder.
- When uploading, you can choose the privacy setting: keep it private, share with anyone with the link, or make it immediately Public on the web.
- You can can upload folders of documents.
- There are size limits to the documents you can upload. Generally, you can upload 1024 MB, but check here for more information.