first things first...
- set Logic FPS (not 25fps!!.. well probably not)
do this in "PROJECT SETTINGS > SYNCRONIZATION"
- import movie
- sync movie TC and Logic TC - here's how to do it:
(it helps to open "giant smpte display", which looks like this:
this ALSO happens in "PROJECT SETTINGS > SYNCRONIZATION"
bar 1 = 01:02:20:10
(to get this to happen, open up “project settings>syncronization”
and where it says “bar 1 happens at SMPTE xx xx xx xx” put in the SMPTE!)
let's say you want these hits to occur on downbeats....
hit 1 = 01:02:45:02
hit 2 = 01:02:55:01
it's always a good idea to CREATE MARKERS (without rounding)
that way you know what you're aiming for!
the coolest way:
"go to" (default is / or = )
type in the destination SMPTE
once you're there, CREATE MARKER w/o rounding (will create it at the playhead)
to make sure the marker stays LOCKED to SMPTE, lock it to SMPTE!
the default key command is COMMAND + PAGE DOWN
it should look like this:
- - -
- by now you should have an idea about a tempo (from watching the film, developing themes, etc)
- take a look and see how you can change the meter to almost hit the first hit
this is your starting point! you want to get close
in this case making m13 a 2/4 bar might get us close...
- open tempo operations window
QUICK HINT! Can't find this freaking window? just use the keyboard shortcut!!
shift option T
- select “create constant tempo”
- make sure "continue with new Tempo" is CHECKED (it's not checked by default)
- in the first SMPTE box, type in your starting SMPTE
- unlock 2nd smpte
- in the second SMPTE box, put in hit destination SMPTE
in this case it's 01:02:45:02
QUICK HINT! to enter in any SMPTE position, you don't actually have to type the ":" - you can just use SPACES!
i.e. 01 SPACE 02 SPACE 45 SPACE 02 ENTER
- in the destination bar (above the 2nd smpte box) put in destination bar
in this case it's m14
QUICK HINT! you can just type "14" for 14 1 1 1
- hit ENTER
- it should APPEAR that you're MARKER moved... success!
it didn't actually move, it's just tied to TIMECODE!
- now your downbeat of m14 should occur exactly at 01:02:45:02 !!