Superman Bicycle Ride
The 32nd annual Metropolis Kiwanis Superman Bicycle Ride will be held on Saturday, June 8, 2019, in conjunction with the 41st annual Superman Celebration in Metropolis, IL. The ride will begin at 8 AM at Fort Massac State Park (near the trout pond) with a mass start led by Superman. You can view a map of the registration and start location here. Once again the ride will include 10 mile, 40 mile, and 61 mile routes. The 10 mile route is relatively flat and the 40 and 61 mile routes have challenging hills. A drawing of early registrants will be held prior to the start of the Ride for a bicycle and related accessories (donated by the Kiwanis Club of Metropolis).
The entry fee for adult riders this year will be $30, and will increase to $35 after the early registration cutoff date of May 15th. Children 16 and under ride FREE with a registered parent or guardian. This FREE ride does not include an event t-shirt but shirts can be purchased for $15 (while supplies last). See the Registration Page for details. In addition to online and mail-in registration options, walk in registration will be available the day of the event at Fort Massac State Park between 7 and 8 AM, and on Friday, June 7th at El Tequila Restaurant (across the street from Fort Massac) from 5 to 7 PM. Payment options are: check for mail-in registration (please don't mail cash); credit card, debit card, or PayPal for online registration; and cash or check in person Friday night and Saturday morning.
Please scroll to the bottom of this page where you will find links to view and download the entry form and route maps. Paper entry forms and maps will also be available prior to the start of the ride. To sign up online please go to our Registration Page where you can select your desired route and the t-shirt size you prefer, and pay with a credit card, debit card, or PayPal.
The following notes apply to the 40 and 61 mile routes:
- We have renamed the two longest rides. In the past there has sometimes been confusion when discussing the "60 mile" and the "60 km" routes, so we have dropped "kilometers" and will only describe routes by their length in miles.
- To make the rides even safer we have eliminated the North Avenue section and have moved that portion of the route to Old Marion Road. Route maps are available for download (see below). This change has added about 1.5 miles, so the routes are now 40 and 61 miles.
- In response to rider requests we are providing a couple of navigation aids:
- A Google Map showing the 40 and 61 mile routes will let you see your real time position on the route, and help you get back on course if you make a wrong turn. You can view the embedded map below, or click the [_] symbol in the upper right corner of the map to open in a new window (desktop) or in the Google Maps app (mobile -- if you have the app installed). Click the [>_] symbol in the upper left corner to open the map legend, which you can use to turn different sections of the routes on and off and switch the base map to "Google Earth" view.
- KML and KMZ files are also available for download and use in stand-alone navigation devices. You may need to use your conversion software to put them in the proper format and to upload them to your device. Note that we haven't tested this feature, but these files do work as-is in Google Earth on both mobile and desktop.
Visitors to Metropolis may find the following links to be of interest:
The Superman Bicycle Ride is a tour through historic Massac County in southern Illinois. Come explore the countryside surrounding the Home of Superman — Metropolis, IL, located on the banks of the Ohio River, along I-24, halfway between St. Louis, MO, and Nashville, TN. Parts of our routes follow the old Ohio River bed before the channel changed its course hundreds of years ago. Enjoy the country charm as you pass by this majestic farmland.