Board of Directors
Menlo Park Academy is governed by a Board of Directors. The Board is the policy-making body and holds the school’s charter and thus, is responsible for all fiduciary, legal, regulatory, and compliance issues. It provides valuable leadership to the school and is comprised of volunteers who do not receive any compensation for their service. The members are charged with setting educational goals and establishing policies for the school based on state laws and our school's charter.
Board members do not manage the day-to-day
operations of MPA, but make policy decisions on a wide range
of issues and provide the overall governance. No one member has the authority or power to make a decision regarding the operation of the school. All decisions are made in public at open board meetings. The main duties of the Board are to:
- Determine the mission and purpose of MPA
and keep it clearly in focus.
- Select, direct, support, and evaluate school leader's performance.
effective strategic/organizational planning.
- Focus on policy making, planning, monitoring, and evaluation to further the school's mission, core values, and strategic objectives.
- Ensure adequate resources are obtained (enrollment & fundraising) and manage them effectively (approve annual
budget, determine accounting and personnel policies, and ensure the school is an effective steward of public funds).
- Determine, monitor and strengthen the school’s
programs and services in accordance with the mission and
- Enhance MPA’s public standing.
- Ensure legal and ethical integrity and
maintain accountability by establishing policies to guide the
school's board members and staff, and adhere to bylaws, articles of
incorporation, and laws & regulations that apply to the school.
- Recruit and orient new board members and
assess Board performance.
See the links below for more information about our Board and their role at MPA.