- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 2 TB butter (the second time I made them, I added 1/2 TB extra butter to the batter)
- 2 TB shortening
- 1 cup milk, chilled (originally, I used whole milk, but I've used skim milk since then and could taste no difference)
- Pre-heat oven to 425.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Using your hands, mush and rub the butter and shortening into the dry ingredients until the butter and shortening are small pea-sized pieces.
- Make a whole in the center of the mixture (like you're making a volcano) and pour in milk.
- Use a fork to stir until dough just comes together. This will be extremely sticky.
- Lightly flour countertop surface and lightly flour your hands as well.
- Scrape batter from bowl onto floured surface and pat gently down
until your dough is roughly an inch thick. (This is where I went
- Using 2-inch round cookie cutters or the lip of a small glass (I
used a wine glass), press down on the dough, cutting out circles.
Place circles just touching on a lightly sprayed cookie sheet.
- Re-form remaining dough bits back into a 1-inch thick dough and cut out the rest of the circles.
- Bake until risen with golden tops, about 14-19 minutes.