Scientific Name: Ficus Bengalensis
Tagalog Name: Agaien, Balete
Visayan Name: Baleting-baging
The popular Banyan Tree belongs to the plant family Moraceae or Urticaceae. The tree grows to height of over 30metres and can be easily identified by the many prop roots, sometimes called aerial roots, that it sends down into the soil from the heavy branches and the trunk. These roots give added support to the tree and also aid in absorption of nutrients and propagation of the tree. The leaves of the tree are large and oval, deep green above and pale green beneath. The bright red fruits are stalk less and grow in the axils of the leaves. The fruits contain many tiny male and female flowers like those found inedible figs.
· Chapped heels.
· Boils and painful joints.
· Bleeding piles.
· Gum problems and pyorrhea.
· Bad breath and oral ulcers.
· Pimples or acne.
· Skin diseases and venereal diseases.
· Bruises, hemorrhoids, swellings, lumbago and rheumatism.
HOW TO USE:
· Fill the chapped heels with the milky latex of the banyan tree.
· For boils, warm fresh banyan leaves after coating them with gingelly or olive oil and place them on boils to speed up the maturing process, thus making it convenient to drain out the pus. The same treatment isgood for painful joints.
· For bleeding piles, a few drops of fresh latex from the tree is mixed with a glass of milk and taken daily.
· For diabetes, soak overnight, 1 sq. inch of the bark of the tree in a glass of water and drink the infusion the next morning.
· For eczema, char the tender leaf-buds in hot ashes and dissolve the same in gingelly oil for application on the affected areas.
· For gum problems and pyorrhea, chew crushed prop roots, hold in mouth for a while and then rinse the mouth with lukewarm water.
· Boil 1-3 sq. inches of the bark of the tree in 2 cups of water for 5-10 minutes. Cool and use this decoction for gargling. Repeat several times a day. This helps relieve bad breath and oral ulcers.
· For leucorrhea, boil 1-3 tablespoons of the powdered dry bark of the fig tree and the banyan tree in 1-2 litres of water till it is reduced to1/2 litre. Strain and when lukewarm, douche the vagina. Repeat several times a day.
· For pimples or acne, make a fine paste of the prop roots and apply on the affected parts. Repeat as needed.
· To cure skin diseases and venereal diseases, boil 3-5 tablespoons of the bark in 4-5cups water till the volume is reduced to 1 cup. Add 1 teaspoon of honey and drink. Use 2 or 3 times a week.
· Apply the latex externally on the affected parts in cases of bruises, hemorrhoids, swellings, lumbago and rheumatism.
· For rashes, apply a paste of the leaves on the affected areas.
Stem bark, prop roots, leaves and milky latex.
As recommended above.