LESSON: What's Cyberbullying? (est. Time 45 min.)
Students will explore how it feels to be cyberbullied, how cyberbullying is similar to or different than in-person bullying, and learn basic strategies for handling cyberbullying when it arises.
Essential Question: What is cyberbullying, and how do you deal with it?
Students discuss positive and negative aspects of interacting with others online. They learn the definition of cyberbullying and help the teacher fill in a chart that compares in-person bullying with cyberbullying. They then read a story of a student who is cyberbullied, identifying the players involved and how the target might feel.
- Empathize with the targets of cyberbullying
- Recognize some of the key similarities and differences between in-person bullying and cyberbullying
- Identify strategies for dealing responsibly with cyberbullying
- That's Cyberbullying Student Handout
- Cyberbullying Parent Tip Sheet
- Connected Culture Parent Tip Sheet
- Connected Culture Parent/Teacher Intro (Video)