10/02 Pep Rally in gym. Students go directly to gym and sit with advisory group in assigned section.
10/09 PSAT Review/Prep
This activity is planned and provided by the guidance office. Please contact them if you have any questions.
See below for other ideas.
Directions to retrieve Power Point:
1) go to MDI Homepage
2) Go to Guidance
3) Drag down screen and on left is a link: Preparing for the PSAT's, this opens a PFD with information about preparing and taking the PSAT's.
More Activities that you might want to do with your group prior to the test.
1. What is on the test?: This is a short and concise overview of the PSAT with links to explanations and practice for each section. (The more familiar the students are with the test, the more confident they will be!)
2. Games! Play as a group or let students play on their laptops in pairs)
PSAT testing in the morning
(No Advisory today)
Please tell students that we will be watching a video tomorrow about students who deal with anxiety and depression.
1. Share the following statistics:
• Depression affects about 20% of adolescents by the time they reach adulthood.
• According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, anxiety disorders affect 1 in 8 teens in the U.S.
2. Announce to the group:
****Tomorrow we will be watching a video about anxiety and depression and discussing our reactions to the video. If you need to "opt out" of this activity, you may go to the library.******
3. If you would like to talk about this topic more, there will be people available in the guidance office to assist you.
10/23/13 Anxiety Presentation (Holly)
Note: Today's advisory will be extended into Block D 25 minutes.
Students will watch video and participate in discussion.
• Advisory groups and questions (questions on second page)
Groups modified (10/21/13) (Freshmen should be with freshmen.)
More questions to go with the video. (thanks Matt U.!)
IMPORTANT: This activity is planned by guidance. Please direct any questions to Mark C.
10/24-10/25 (8 minute activities)
Prep for Post-Secondary Fair (Monday 10/28)
(This activities are planned and provided by guidance to prepare students for the post-secondary workshop on Monday
1. Go over the list with your students, pointing out sessions that address special topics. Have students look at the list of schools and presentations and pick 3 for each session. (in case they do not get their first choice). Students should plan ahead because teachers will be closing doors as soon as the room is full. Have students identify their choices and then collect their papers. (so they don't get lost over the weekend!) Hand the papers along with their portfolio tasks out to the students during the 8 minute advisory period prior to the Block D sessions on Monday.
List of rooms/Schools
2. Advisors go over portfolio task and show the sample.
Sophomore Class Halloween Party (cafeteria)
Important: Please do not bring your group down to the cafeteria until 12:35 so that we can clean up from lunch and bring down all of the goodies!
(If you or an advisee would like to bake something for the party, please let Renee know. Thanks!)
11/01 (Friday) Meeting in the auditorium. (9/10)
What can I learn from Community Service? View Download
Pay It Forward video montage...(9 minutes)
Generosity Video (values.com)
Helping Others (story to share):
Volunteering (story to share)
Community / Community Service Activities View Download
(#1 is meant to be an optional activity/idea that you may want to carry out in the future)