October 5, 2016
Pep Rally in the gym.
October 12, 2016
Please share with your group:
On October 19th, your class will be taking the PSAT, an important test that predicts future success in college and also, a measurement that gives your teachers important information about your strengths and weaknesses as a student.. This test should finish around 11:00. Afterward, lunch will be held. At 11:30, your class will participate in Social Responsibility activities. This year’s topic for your class will be “Yes Means Yes!”, a training on sexual violence prevention, intervention and education. The program will be held in the auditorium.
Kindness/Community Service (tailor to your group)
Please choose one of the two lessons for today's advisory period depending on what you think will work best for your group.
Lesson #1: Kindness/Random Acts of Kindness:
Discussion Question to begin.
Ask several students....
* When was the last time someone did something nice for you? (even something small) What was it?
* When was the last time you did something nice for someone?
What did you do?
1. Watch this short trailer for Kindness is Contagious movie to begin today's activity.
2. Share this brief article/summarize the five side effects of kindness.
3. Watch this video on Kindness (random acts).
4. More Kindness Ideas to browse here.
What other ideas do people have?
Lesson #2: Community Service
Community Service Activity
Don't wait until your senior year to get in your community service hours! Today's activities should get students thinking about what they can do this year either alone or as a group (optional) to get their hours and help out the community.
1. Visit dosomething.org to come up with an idea for a community service project. Students will have to create an account (free) to find out the specific details)
Start with a search of interests, time, etc.
It is really easy to search by cause or campaign.
1. Go to "causes"
2. Under "Action Finder" you can choose a time period, a cause and more to narrow down you choices.
Or you can just start with a cause (drop down menu that includes animals, education,bullying,etc) and take it from there!
Here are some ideas from the site.
2. Run the idea by Mrs. Littlefield or your advisor.
3. Complete the activity and provide documentation of the hours and the product (if this applies)
4. Check here to join a campaign already in progress. (IE: sending birthday cards to homeless children)
Here are some ideas that your whole Advisory group (or partial) could do.
Same as above except pick something that several students would like to do (or even the whole group!). Advisor documents the hours and activity to turn in to Ms. Littlefield.
Here are some great ideas for groups that would be easy to document:
Shelter Pet PR
October 19, 2016
October 26, 2016