Summative Assessment in a Nutshell:
Occurs at the end of the instruction and assesses achievement based on the BC Ministry’s Prescribed Learning Outcomes.
This assessment answers the question, “What do the students know?”
Examples of Summative Assessment:
- Quests (mid-unit), Unit Tests, Midterm Exams, & Final Exams
- Major Projects & Formal Labs
- Major Unit Assignments and Activities
The actual weighting of these items depends on the unit of study.
? How do I get a final report card grade ?
· The Ministry of Education in BC has prescribed a set of “Learning Outcomes“ (PLOs) to be met by all students at the conclusion of each school year.
· Each curriculum unit has its own specified PLOs.
· We use summative tests, projects, labs, interviews, etc. To determine if each individual student “can do” the tasks specified in the PLOs, and to what extent these tasks are mastered or not.
86-100 - A
73-85 - B
67-72 - C+
60-66 - C
50-59 - C-
0-50 - I/F (incomplete)