The following information was for the 2013 offering of Math in Rome, and is provided solely as a guide. Updated information for 2014 will be posted as it becomes available.
- Squaring the Circle: Geometry in Art and Architecture, by Paul Calter, Key College, 2008.
Recommended Bibliographical and Web Sources (for background material)
Journal and conference articles
- Principles of Roman Architecture, by Mark Wilson Jones, Yale University Press, 2003.
- Shaping Structures: Statics, by Waclaw Zalewski and Edward Allen, John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
- De architectura, by Vitruvius, 15 BC (Vitruvius: Ten Books on Architecture, ed. Ingrid D. Rowland Thomas Noble Howe. Cambridge University Press, 2001). Also online at gutenberg.org
- Tutte l'opere d'architettura et prospetiva, by Serlio (Sebastiano Serlio on Architecture, Volume 1: Books I-V, Translators: Vaughan Hart and Peter Hicks, Yale University Press, 2005).
- On the Art of Building in Ten Books, by Alberti (Leon Battista Alberti On the Art of Building in Ten Books, translated by J. Rykwert, N. Leach, R. Tavernor, MIT Press, 1988).
- Timaeus, by Plato (translated by P. Kalkavage, Focus Publishing/R. Pullins Co., June 15, 2001).
- Classical Architecture, by James Stevens Curl. W. W. Norton and Co., 2001.
- Roman Architecture, by Frank Sear. Cornell University Press, 1983.
- The Stone Skeleton: Structural Engineering of Masonry Architecture, by Jacques Heyman. Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- Arches, Vaults and Buttresses, by Jacques Heyman, Variorum, 1996.
- Structural Analysis: A Historical Approach, by Jacques Heyman, Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- The Masonry Arch, by Jacques Heyman. Halsted Press (Wiley), 1982.
- The Colosseum, by Keith Hopkins and Mary Beard, Harvard University Press, 2005.
- Story of the Roman Amphitheatre, by D. L Bomgardner, Routledge, 2002.
- Roman Aqueducts and Water Supply, by A. Trevor Hodge, Duckworth Publishers, Second ed., 2002.
- Guide to the Aqueducts of Ancient Rome, by Peter J. Aicher, Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, 1995.
- Water Distribution in Ancient Rome: The Evidence of Frontinus, by Harry B. Evans, University of Michigan Press, 1997.
- Brunelleschi: Studies of His Technology and Inventions, by Frank D. Prager and Gustina Scaglia, Dover Publications, 2004.
- Brunelleschi's Cupola: Past and Present of an Architectural Masterpiece, by Giovanni Fanelli and Michele Fanelli, Mandragora, 2006.
- Brunelleschi's Dome, by Ross King, Penquin Books, 2000.
- Roman Builders: A Study in Architectural Process, by Rabun Taylor, Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- Roman Building: Materials and Techniques, by Jean-Pierr Adam, Routledge, 2003.
- Concrete Vaulted Construction in Imperial Rome: Innovations in Context, by Lynne Lancaster, Cambridge University Press, 2005.
- Structures or Why things don't fall down, by J. E. Gordon, Da Capo, 1978.
- Roman Bridges, by Colin O'Connor, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
- Circle and Oval in the Square of Saint Peter's: Bernini's Art of Planning, by Timoty K. Kitao, New York University Press, 1974.
- Basilica, The Splendor and the Scandal: Building St. Peter's, by R. A. Scotti, Plume, 2007.
- Proportion: Science, Philosophy, Architecture, by Richard Padovan, Spon Press, 1999.
- Light, Wind, and Structure: The Mystery of the Master Builders, by Robert Mark, MIT Press, 1994.
- Creating the Pantheon: Design, Materials and Construction, by Gene Waddell, Bibliotheca Archaeologica, 42, L'Erma di Bretschneider, 2008.
- The Pantheon in Rome. Contributions to the Conference Bern, November 9-12, 2006, Gerd Graßhoff, Michael Heinzelmann, Markus Wäfler (Eds.). Bern: Bern Studies, 2009. online at digitalpantheon.ch
- How to Read Buildings: A Crash Course in Architectural Styles, by Carol Davidson Cragoe, Rizzoli, 2008.
- Illustrated Dictionary of Historic Architecture, by C. M. Harris (ed.), Dover Publications, 1977.
- Graphical Analysis - A Text Book in Graphic Statics, by William S. Wolfe, McGraw Hill Book Co., 1921.
- Experiencing Architecture, by Steen Eiler Rasmussen, MIT Press, 1959.
- Architectural Principles in the age of Humanism, by Rudolf Wittkower, The Norton Library, 1971.
- Architectonics of Humanism: Essays on Number in Architecture, by Lionel March, Academy Editions, 1998.
- The Theory of Proportion in Architecture, by P. H. Scholfield, Cambridge University Press, 1958 (reprinted in 2011).
- The Elements of Dynamic Symmetry, by Jay Hambidge, Dover Publications, 1967.
- Mathematical Excursions to the World's Great Buildings, by Alexander J. Hahn, Princeton University Press, 2012.
- M. T. Bartoli, "Palazzo della Signoria in Florence: details and rules of Gothic architecture," Disegnare, idee e immagini, no. 29, Editore Gangemi, Roma (Dec. 2004), pp. 26-33.
- R. Corazzi and G. Conti, "Brunelleschi's dome between theory and reality," Disegnare, idee e immagini, no. 31, Gangemi Editore, Roma (Dec. 2005), pp. 56-67.
- "Il Colosseo Studi e Ricerche," Disegnare, idee e immagini, no. 18-19, Editore Gangemi, Roma (June/Dec 1999). (entire issue devoted to research on the Colosseum)
- M. Docci, "The architectural orders of the Colosseum," Disegnare, idee e immagini, no. 29, Editore Gangemi, Roma (Dec. 2004), pp. 26-33.
- S. Duvernoy and P. L. Rosin, "The Compass, the Ruler and the Computer", Proc. Nexus VI: Architecture and Mathematics, pp. 21-34, 2006. pdf
- N. T. Gridgeman, "Elliptic Parallels," The Mathematics Teacher, 63, (1970), pp. 481-485.
- N. T. Gridgeman, "Quadarcs, St. Peter's and the Colosseum", The Mathematics Teacher, 63 (1970), pp. 209-215.
- M. Wilson Jones, "Designing Amphitheatres," MDAI(R), Mitteilungen des deutschen archäologischen Instituts, Römische Abteilun- Mayence 100 (1993), pp. 391-442.
- P. L. Rosin and E. Trucco, "The Amphitheatre Construction Problem", Incontro Internazionale di Studi Rileggere L'Antico, 2005. pdf
- P. L. Rosin, "On Serlio's construction of ovals", Mathematical Intelligencer, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 58-69, 2001. pdf
- P. L. Rosin and M. L. V. Pitteway, "The Ellipse and the Five-centred Arch," The Mathematical Gazette, vol. 85, no. 502, pp. 13-25, 2001. pdf
- T. Thieme, "La geometria di Piazza San Pietro," Palladio, XXIII (1973), 129-144.
- L. March, "Renaissance mathematics and architectural proportion in Alberti's De re aedificatoria," Architectural Research Quarterly, 2:54-65, Cambridge University Press, 1996.