Home‎ > ‎FAQ - Math‎ > ‎

Majoring in Math

Q:  How do I change my major to math?
A:  You need to complete the "Change of Major/Minor form"  which can be downloaded from the Registrar's website under "http://www.sjsu.edu/registrar/forms/". 
    The change of major request is subject to  department approval and may require approval from AARS.

    Q:  Are there any requirements if I want to change my major to math?
    A: Yes. If you want to change you major to math, you need to have a C- or better in Calculus I (Math 30 or Math 30P) or a score of 3 or higher on the AP Calculus Exam and a C- or better in Discrete Math (Math 42) together with a 2.0 GPA or higher in all math classes taken, Precalculus (Math 19) or above.

    Q:  What is the hardest part of the major?
    A:   That depends on whom you ask. What is difficult to you may not be difficult to others. It is generally agreed that Math 108, Math 128A/B, Math 131A/B  are more  abstract, more rigorous and more challenging than some other required courses. You should not plan on taking more than one of those in a regular semester.  Each of Math 128 and Math 131 can take up as much time as two regular classes.

    Q:  Should I join the Math Club?
    A:  Definitely.  Here is their website:  http://www.math.sjsu.edu/~mathclub

     How do the different degree programs offered by the Math Department differ and what careers might follow from them?
    A:  This is a broad question. The title of the degree indicates what it is for but your advisor can enhance your knowledge in this area. Students should discuss career opportunities with their advisors.