Skywarn / Weather
Mason County Amateur Radio Group / ARES will host a "Skywarn & Weather Spotter" net during active weather events. We will have a net control station that will collect reports from any amateur radio operator and that net control station will be tasked with contacting the National Weather Service office in Charleston WV.
Severe Weather Reports Needed
- Tornadoes, waterspouts, funnel clouds, rotating wall clouds
- Hail (any size)
- Estimated or measured wind speeds of 50 mph or greater
- Flooding resulting in closed or impassable roads, property damage
- Rainfall amounts greater than 2 inches per hour
- Trees downed by wind (including large limbs)
- Downed power lines or other structural damage caused by wind
When reporting any of these events, it's very important to tell us WHEN and WHERE they occurred. For geographic reference, an intersection and town are very useful so we can pinpoint the report. If it's a second or third hand report, please give us the source of the original report, along with all the applicable information about what was reported.