We often say when the action happened (last week, yesterday, two years ago, in 1997, etc.).
1. Regular verbs
To make the past simple of regular verbs we just add "-ed" or "-d".
To make the negative, we use "didn't + infinitive".
To make a question, we use "Did .... infinitive?"
The form is the same for I, You, He, She, It, We, and They !!!
2. Irregular verbs
Many common verbs in English have irregular past forms (see links on this page).
3. Verb "be"
The verb "be" is very important in English. The past forms are "was" and "were", and their negative and question forms are different from other verbs.
Put the verbs into the past simple form to complete the sentences.
Yesterday I _____ shopping in London. (go) ----> Yesterday I went shopping in London.
1. Last year I ______ a holiday in Paris. (have)
2. This morning they ______ swimming. (go)
3. Unfortunately, I _______ time to do my homework! (not have)
4. ____ you _____ the football match last night? Yes, I _____ . (see)
5. In 2006 I ________ university. (start)
6. _______ he at home last night? No, he ______ . (be, not be)
7. They __________ happy when their team lost the match. (not be)
8. He ____________ by train, he __________ to go by bus. (not travel, decide)
9. I _________ to China last summer. (go)
10. We ________ a fantastic meal last weekend in a Korean restaurant. (have)
Now check your answers
Now try the matching exercise.