PhD Candidate (Environmental and Natural Resources Policy)
College of Environmental Science and Forestry
State University of New York
MPA Student (Environment and International Dev't)
Certificate of Advanced Study in Conflict Resolution
Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs
406B Bray Hall
1 Forestry Drive
Syracuse, NY 13210
- Globalization and Environmental Governance
- Ecological Economics
- Economic Anthropology
- Collaborative Environmental Governance
- Indigenous and Minority Communities
- MSc Environmental Management, National University of Singapore, 2006-2008
- MSc Environmental Engineering, National University of Singapore, 2003-2004
- BS Civil Engineering, University of the Philippines, 1997-2001
Teaching Assistant, SUNY College of Environmental Science and
Forestry, New York, 2008-present
- Intern, United Nations Department of Economic
and Social Affairs, Division for Sustainable Development, New York, June - August 2009
Assistant, Tropical Marine Science Institute, Singapore, 2006-2008
- Project Engineer and Environmental Consultant, United/NOVO Envirotech, Singapore, 2004-2006
- Montefrio, M.J.F., & D.A. Sonnenfeld. (2012). Global-local tensions in contract farming of biofuels involving indigenous communities in the Philippines. Society and Natural Resources (in press).
- Montefrio, M.J.F. (2012). Privileged biofuels, marginalized indigenous peoples: the co-evolution of biofuels development in the tropics. Submitted to Bulletin of Science, Technology and Society, 32(1), 41-55.
- Montefrio, M.J.F., & D.A. Sonnenfeld. (2011). Forest, fuel, or food? Competing coalitions and biofuels policymaking in the Philippines. Journal of Environment and Development, 20(1), 27-49.
- Montefrio, M.J.F., & J.P. Obbard. (2010).
Economics of biodiesel derived from waste cooking oil in the
Philippines. Energy Sources, Part B: Economics, Planning and Policy,
M.J.F., Xinwen, T., & J.P. Obbard. (2010). Recovery and pretreatment of fats, oil and grease
from grease interceptor for biodiesel production. Applied Energy, 87(10), 3155-3161
- Montefrio, M.J.F., Ng., K.S., Lee, Y.K., Torio, E., Chua, M.H., de Sales-Papa, L., & J.P. Obbard. (2007). A sustainable approach to the remediation of the Payatas Disposal Facility in Metro Manila, Philippines. The International Journal of Environmental, Cultural, Economic and Social Sustainability, 2(7), 41-52
- Manno, J.P., Jamieson, G., Montefrio, M.J.F.
The Role of an alliance of native and non-native organizations in the
diffusion and dissemination of a Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) perspective on
hydraulic fracturing of Marcellus Shale.
- Montefrio, M.J.F. Poverty and climate change. In Philander, S.G., Golson, J.G. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Global Warming and Climate Change, 2nd ed. (under review).
- Montefrio, M.J.F. Small farmers. In Philander, S.G., Golson, J.G. (eds.), Encyclopedia of Global Warming and Climate Change, 2nd ed. (under review).
- Fellowship, Coupled Human and Natural Systems Network, 2012
- Doctoral Dissertation Grant, International Development Research Center, 2011
- SUNY ESF Alumni Association Memorial Scholarship, USA, 2011
- Travel Grant Award, Randolph G. Pack Environment Institute, USA, 2010
- Shell Best Dissertation Award. Awarded by Shell Group of Companies, Singapore, 2008
- Special Merit Award, Green Wave Environmental Care Project. Awarded by Sembawang Shipyard, Singapore, 2008
- 3rd International Summer Academy on Energy and Environment Scholarship. Awarded by the German Academic Exchange Commission (DAAD), Germany, 2006
- Mondialogo Worldwide Engineering Award – Special Jury Recognition for Outstanding Achievement. Awarded by United Nations (UNESCO) and DaimlerChrysler, 2005
- Topnotcher (10th place), National Civil Engineering Licensure Board Examination. Awarded by the Professional Regulations Commission, Philippines, 2002