Deputy Chief, Regional Economic Outlook
Middle East and Central Asia Department
International Monetary Fund
700 19th Street N.W.
Washington, DC 20431
Short bio: I work as a deputy chief at the IMF's Regional Economic Outlook division, focusing on the Middle East, North Africa, and Central Asia economies and oil and gas sector issues. Previously, I worked on the IMF's United States and Japan teams, and wrote chapters for the IMF's World Economic Outlook. I graduated with a Ph.D. in economics from the Johns Hopkins University.
- Learning to Live with Cheaper Oil: Policy Adjustment in Oil Exporting Countries of the Middle East and Central Asia (with Greg Auclair, Armand Fouejieu, Inutu Lukonga, Saad Quayyum, Amir Sadeghi, Gazi Shbaikat, Andrew Tiffin, Juan Trevino, and Bruno Versailles). International Monetary Fund, June 2016.
- Global Implications of Lower Oil Prices (with Aasim M. Husain, Rabah Arezki, Peter Breuer, Vikram Haksar, Thomas Helbling, and Paulo A. Medas). IMF Staff Discussion Note 15/15.
- The Potential Macroeconomic Impact of the Unconventional Oil and Gas Boom in the United States (with Ben Hunt and Dirk Muir). IMF Working Paper 15/92.
- Making the Most of Public Investment in MENA and CCA Oil-Exporting Countries (with Maria A. Albino-War, Svetlana Cerovic, Francesco Grigoli, Juan Flores, Javier Kapsoli, Haonan Qu, Yahia Said, Bahrom Shukurov, and SeokHyun Yoon). IMF Staff Discussion Note 14/10.
- Macroeconomic Implications of the U.S. Energy Boom (with Ben Hunt, Gabriel Di Bella, Madelyn Estrada, Akito Matsumoto, and Dirk Muir). IMF Selected Issues Paper 13/237, pp. 19-35, 2013.
- Vehicles Ownership and Income Growth, Worldwide: 1960-2030 (with Dermot Gately and Joyce Dargay), The Energy Journal, Vol 28(4), pp. 163-190, 2007.
- The Boom in Nonfuel Commodity Prices: Can It Last? IMF's World Economic Outlook, September 2006.
- Will The Oil Market Continue to Be Tight? IMF's World Economic Outlook, April 2005
- Dissecting Saving Dynamics: Measuring Wealth, Precautionary, and Credit Effects (with Christopher Carroll and Jirka Slacalek). IMF Working Paper No. 12/219, September 2012.
- International Evidence on Sticky Consumption Growth (with Christopher Carroll and Jirka Slacalek). Review of Economics and Statistics, November 2011, 93(4): 1135–1145.
- Habit Formation and Aggregate Consumption Dynamics The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics (Advances), Vol. 7(1), Article 21, 2007. Previous version: Habits, Sentiment, and Predicted Income in the Dynamics of Aggregate Consumption. Data and programs.
- The Changing Dynamics of the Global Business Cycle (with Nikola Spatafora) IMF's World Economic Outlook, October 2007.
- Central Bank Autonomy: Lessons from Global Trends (with Marco Arnone, Bernard Laurens, and Jean-Francois Segalotto), IMF Staff Papers, 52(2), 2009.
- How Has Globalization Influenced Inflation? (with Thomas Helbling and Florence Jaumotte) IMF's World Economic Outlook, April 2006.
- Supply Shocks and The Persistence of Inflation Johns Hopkins University Working Paper 485, 2002.
- Why Are Japanese Wages So Sluggish? IMF Working Paper No. 09/97, May 2009.
- Why Has Japan Been Hit So Hard by the Global Recession? IMF's Staff Position Note 2009/05.