Martin Hickes is a journalist, publicist and writer with a 15 year association with the media. He specialises in old fashioned journalism, academic related PR and general business publicity.
In a world of occasional 'dumbed-down' journalism and general flim-flam, he prides himself on the ability to write objectively on a wide range of subjects, from quantum physics to Charles Darwin, Right-to-Roam to the business of Shakespeare as well as offering bespoke writing services including speeches and press releases, and a network of add-on services through associates and contacts.
He also has a network of contacts in photo publicity, his father and grandfather and associates having been linked closely with the press and pr business in the North of England for more than 40 years. He was taught by the poet Ian McMillan, among others.....he won the school literary prize at Prince Henry's Grammar School in Otley in 1986.
He qualified as a journalist in 1989 and has also undertaken a significant degree of PR work.
Aside from general writings and availability for publicity, he is also attempting to create an online English Literary Canon for broad reference (see side bar). For a number of years, in the late 90s, he worked in the cable comms industry in a publicity role at the dawn of the hi-tech revolution, technology and know-how which is now de rigueur.
In younger days, he was highly influenced by the works of Douglas Adams, Agatha Christie, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Clive James, the Monty Python team, the cosmologist Carl Sagan, and any great satirists.
He gained a 2:1 BA (Hons) degree in English Literature and is based in Leeds, Yorkshire - probably the best-connected city in the UK.
Do you need publicity? For less than the cost of a traditional advert, it is possible to craft a good press release with associated photography for distribution to the major press. You can then keep your words and imagery for your own future use. With more and more services now going online, Associated Content and related sites, news web sites are increasingly becoming a secondary, instantly viewable and lasting source for PR and publicity in addition to the quality press.
New For 2014
Zero Dark QWERTY - More collected writings.
The Language Mansion - ebook. See below.
All stories/PR listed below are (c) Martin Hickes and should not be used without permission. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Reproduced from 2005)
Featured in the YEP, Keighley News, Ilkley Gazette and others.
Featured in the Ilkley Gazette, Yorkshire Evening Post and others.
Featured in the Sheffield Star, Derbyshire Times and others
Featured in the Yorkshire Post,
Featured in the Yorkshire Post
Thirty years after ET, will we ever be able to phone his home?
Review: Hunting Down the Hare and Hounds
Review: The Brown Horse Rides Again
Featured in the YorkshirePost and Evening Post - original publicity by MH
Featured in the Yorkshire Post and Telegraph and Argus - original publicity by MH
Privacy on parade
Used in the Yorkshire Dalesman, May 2011
Pick up by Yorkshire Post reporters
YEP story pick up
Used in the Dalesman Spring 2011
Used in the Harrogate Advertiser/Herald March 2011
((Original story by MH - picked up by Yorkshire Post reporters).
Coming soon - the Super Large Hadron Collider Why Heaven Can't Wait
Iron Silk Road Is Still A 'Slow Train Coming'
On the anniversary of Jane Austen's death, what would she have made of online social networks?
Has the Banking Crisis Become the Greatest Restoration Comedy?
A Rose By Any Other Name...
A New Twist in the Search for the Lost Rose of Towton
Search Still On For The Towton Rose
The Way of the World?
Is the New Space Race Just Beginning?
- The spy's story... childhood classic makes splash again ... 4 May 2009 ... As a new film version of Swallows and Amazons prepares to set sail, Martin
Hickes reflects on Yorkshire author Arthur Ransome's 125th ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/nostalgia/The-spy39s-story-childhood-classic.5231420.jp - 60k
- The end of the world is nigh... or is it science's greatest leap ... 9 Sep 2008 ... By Martin Hickes. Those who announce the end of the world is at hand usually
defer to some higher spiritual source. ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/The-end-of-the-world.4471518.jp - 62k
- Will the North Sea give up America's most prized naval treasure ... 28 Jun 2007 ... By Martin Hickes. The Americans will be taking to the high seas off the
Yorkshire coast this summer in search of their nautical "Holy Grail" ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features?articleid=2988645 - 61k
- Revealed at last... secret of the star that led to Jesus ... 24 Dec 2008 ... Martin Hickes reports. For years, the wondrous image and myth of the Star of
Bethlehem has vexed scholars, astronomers and religious ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Revealed-at-last-secret-of.4821441.jp - 66k
- Murder mystery of Shakespeare and the play that got away ... 21 Apr 2008 ... Murder mystery of Shakespeare and the play that got away - With this week
marking the anniversary of Shakespeare's birth, Martin Hickes ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Murder-mystery-of-Shakespeare-and.4002022.jp - 59k
- Light years from Yorkshire, but why is there so much 'space junk ... 2 Mar 2009 ... By Martin Hickes. YORKSHIRE may seem light years away from the happenings of
outer space, but the spectacular collision between two US and ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Light-years-from-Yorkshire-but.5027644.jp - 59k
- A whole new world in the story of Conan Doyle's famous hound ... Martin Hickes reports. EVEN Holmes would have been bemused. Seventy-five years
after the death of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the erstwhile detective's ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/A-whole-new-world-in.1367261.jp - 57k
- The hole truth about global warming - Yorkshire Post With the discovery of the hole in the ozone layer marking its 20th anniversary,
Martin Hickes asks Antarctic scientists what the future holds for global ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/The-hole-truth-about-global.1296524.jp - 59k
- New breed of pet for today's dogged followers of fashion ... Martin Hickes reports. Every trend needs a figurehead and when it came to
handbag-sized dogs Paris Hilton was happy to lead from the front. ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/New-breed-of-pet-for.3672598.jp - 59k
- Is Bard's finest work yet to be discovered? - Yorkshire Post On the 400th anniversary of the publication of Shakespeare's sonnets, and as the
Yorkshire outdoor play season begins, Martin Hickes asks why the Bard's ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/theatre/Is-Bard39s-finest-work-yet.5181090.jp - 60k
- Is there anybody out there? - Yorkshire Post Martin Hickes reports. It was a case of two plus two equals five. When
scientists yesterday revealed they had discovered a planet similar to Earth, ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Is-there-anybody-out-there.1327288.jp - 59k
- Will the North Sea give up America's most prized naval treasure ... The Americans will be taking to the high seas off the Yorkshire coast this
summer in search of their nautical "Holy Grail". Martin Hickes reports on an ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Will-the-North-Sea-give.2988645.jp -
- Blockbuster year for visitors to a land down under - Yorkshire Post Martin Hickes asks a Yorkshire ex-pat about its attraction JUST over a year ago,
Yorkshire electronics engineer Adrian Hill faced the prospect of redundancy ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Blockbuster-year-for-visitors-to.1310831.jp - 57k
- Extra-terrestrial visitor could have a huge impact on us all ... Martin Hickes reports. Just when it seemed nothing could be worse than the
credit crunch and financial armageddon, scientists and politicians are ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Extraterrestrial-visitor-could-have-a.4842527.jp -
- My Robin Hood life hiding from the Nazis - Yorkshire Post Martin Hickes meets one of the few survivors of Operation Sherwood. WHILE tales
of bravery during the Second World War have become the stuff of novels and ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/My-Robin-Hood-life-hiding.1558874.jp -
- Life on Mars moves closer as space odyssey enters alien territory ... Martin Hickes reports. With temperatures averaging an icy -81F, with little or
no oxygen to speak of and a distinct lack of facilities the 21st-century ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Life-on-Mars-moves-closer.1405024.jp - 56k
- Tuesday's Letters: Votes for BNP let down the troops who fought ... THE article by Martin Hickes (Yorkshire Post, June 8) about Parliament in the
past is an absolute classic. His description of Parliament during Oliver ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/letters-to-the-editor/Tuesday39s-Letters-Votes-for-BNP.5368993.jp -
- A giant stride forward – or a dead end? - Yorkshire Post By Martin Hickes. The Right to Roam arrived in Yorkshire two years ago, but has
opening up the countryside boosted tourism or just been yet another waste of ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features?articleid=2948570 -
- Holidays for hard times – go sightseeing in Google's world ... Martin Hickes reports. Fifty years ago, many Yorkshire folk thought themselves
lucky to have a two-week summer break in Scarborough. ... http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/features/Holidays-for-hard-times-.5144237.jp -
11. Fight for a monopoly http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/features/fight_for_pride_of_place_in_monopoly_s_battle_of_the_boardgame_1_2470837
12. "Sorry, squirrel's off!" http://www.yorkshirepost..co.uk/news/around-yorkshire/local-stories/short_on_quantity_but_a_great_taste_1_2368265
Jan 10, 2010
Was Yorkshire always the Red Rose County?
Jan 5, 2010
Deus Ex Machina?
The Ghosts of Dickens' Christmas Past
Dec 25 2009
Will cinema audiences leave the new Holmes alone?
Dec 24, 2009
Bah-humbug - A cheerless Christmas under the Puritans
Dec 23, 2009
A new definition of Dr Johnson at 300
Can Antarctica Be Saved from Global Warming?
Link to page Dec 09 2009
| A Walk in the Woods in Wharfedale
A dedicate team of pensioners is lending a welcome hand around picturesque Wharfedale
|Olde English Coaching Inn Says Cheers to 2010
One of England's oldest coaching inns continues to thrive against tough trading times for pubs in the UK.
|A Fresh Look at Obama's Art of Rhetoric
Did President Barack Obama learn his polished political skills at the artsy West Coast college?
|Memories of Obamaland
Was the President's laid-back style forged at the lotus-eating Occidental College?
|Errol Flynn - The Great Hollywood Star at 100
On Errol Flynn's 100th anniversary, should the star be presented with a special Oscar?
|A New Zeitgeist for Berlin
20 years after the fall of the Wall, Germany looks ahead.
|Was Fawkes the Ultimate Fall Guy?
Many think Britain's favourite figure of hate might have been framed.
|Yorkshire Author Goes Big Stateside
Yorkshire author Peter J Murray is exporting his brand of fiction overseas.
|A Passport to Peril or Prosperity?
Does the NE Passage hold they key to world shipping travel?
|Bones Beneath the Dales
Did Hippos once roam in the Yorkshire Dales?
|A Quantum Leap in Understanding
Does quantum information lie at the the heart of things? Prof Vlatko Vedral probes the nature of existence.
|Antimatter Does Exist but Not as Shown in Movies|
- Criminal underworld – the caves that hid smugglers' booty ... With Christmas traditionally the time smugglers descended on Yorkshire's coast,
Our Yorkshire places in the heart - Yorkshire Post With a record number of visitors expected to visit the countythis summer, Martin
Clouds of glory - Yorkshire Post C
e hhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Lost-Name-Martin-Hickes-ebook/dp/B00APXKBMEaving their head in the clouds is a