This is a team activity, and students are expected to conduct themselves in such a way that reflects well on MHSD at all times. Student members agree to observe the following rules:
- Behavior - Students shall engage only in God-honoring behavior and activities at all times, including team meetings, club social events, and tournaments. Students will treat all meeting facility, club and personal property with respect.
- Dress - Students shall dress in a modest, appropriate manner at all club events and tournaments.
- Language - Students shall use language conducive to proper public speaking decorum. Profanity is strictly prohibited.
- Attendance - Students are expected to attend club meetings and arrive on time accompanied by their parent(s) or an adult chaperone approved by their parent(s). Students shall complete all assignments and tasks given to them by their coaches by the assigned due date.
- Partner Committments - Students will honor all commitments to their speech & debate partners. Team Policy (TP), Parli, and Duo Interpretation students should create and sign a partnership agreement that specifies the level of commitment to such things as practice, case writing and tournament attendance, including whether or not they intend to go to nationals if they qualify. This is highly recommended to prevent partnership conflicts during the season.
- Debate Camp Requirement - Novice debaters must first participate in the Mars Hill Speech & Debate Camp or another comparable camp such as NIHD Debate Camp, Patrick Henry College Debate Camp or Training Minds Debate Camp or receive special permission from the debate coach. This is intended to help you succeed.
- Club Communication - Students shall keep apprised of all club meetings, activities and developments by regularly checking their email. Students should promptly answer all emails where a response is requested.
- Electronic Devices - During club time, students must focus on the speech and debate activities that have been prepared for that meeting. No texting, Facebook, Twitter, computer games or other electronic distractions will be permitted during club meetings.