This is a parent led club, so it is essential to have active involvement from each student’s parents. The following outlines the club’s expectations of parents:
- Club Attendance - At least one parent will attend all club meetings, practices or events in which their student is participating.
- Parent Volunteer Roles/Responsibilities - In addition, a Parent must serve in the following roles:
- Parent Coach - They will serve as a parent coach/judge during that portion of club meetings in which they have a student participating – speech, debate or both. Mars Hill will help equip you for this role so please do not be intimidated. All parents have valuable feedback to give to the students.
- Tournament Volunteer - They will serve at each tournament hosted by our club in a capacity that will be coordinated with them by the tournament director. Tournaments are very exciting for the students but do take many volunteers to ensure a successful event. We so appreciate and need your help.
- At Home Assistance - Parents are expected to work with their student(s) at home on their speech & debate preparations and assignments. This is very important to help your child succeed, especially for novices.
- Student Conduct Issues - In the unlikely event that the Student Code of Conduct is violated, parents agree to work with their student(s), the Mars Hill coaches and/or the Mars Hill Board of Directors to rectify the situation so that their student can remain in good standing with the club. If the situation cannot be resolved to the satisfaction of the Mars Hill Board of Directors, in their sole discretion, the student’s club membership will be terminated and the parent(s) will hold the Mars Hill Board of Directors harmless in that event. In the event that a student’s club membership is terminated, there will be no refund of club fees paid for that semester.