Marshfield Area Girl Scout Policies
For decision-making purposes, Service Team consists of the following positions:
Service Area Manager
Service Area Treasurer
Service Area Public Relations Coordinator
Service Area Recruiter
In order to receive financial reimbursement from MAGS, the following criteria must be met:
· Receipts must be turned in for reimbursement no later than 30 days after the event. An exception can be made in the case of a billed invoice, such as from the School District.
· Tax will not be reimbursed. MAGS is a tax-exempt organization. If you need the MAGS tax-exempt number for your purchases, please contact the MAGS Treasurer.
· You will not be reimbursed for more than your budget amount allotted. If you feel a special circumstance requires you to exceed your budget, you must receive majority approval from the Service Team prior to purchasing items. Without approval, you will not be reimbursed.
· You will not be reimbursed for items you can borrow/use from MAGS supplies rather than purchase.
· All leftover supplies and equipment purchased with MAGS funds become the property of MAGS and must be turned over to the Service Area.
Additional Activity Insurance must be purchased for any event where there will be attendees who are not registered Girl Scouts (this includes adults who are not registered Girl Scouts). Each year MAGS budgets money for this. The Insurance Enrollment Form Plan 3E must be turned in to the Service Area Treasurer for payment no later than 2 weeks prior to the event. If you do not have a final count, estimate the number needing coverage.
Events and Patches:
If the event is NOT a fundraiser for your troop:
· All checks for the event must be made payable to MAGS. The amount charged per person should be as close as possible to the actual cost to run the event.
· Checks must be turned in to the Service Area Treasurer no later than one week after the event.
· You are responsible for choosing a patch for this event, one will not be chosen for you. This is part of the event planner’s position.
· The organizing troop does NOT receive the difference between the actual patch cost and the amount charged to the girl for the patch. Since MAGS pays the shipping charges and assumes the risk of the patch invoice being more than the amount collected, any difference goes to offset this cost.
If the event IS a fundraiser for your troop:
· You must submit a Money-Earning Activity Request Form to Council a minimum of 3 weeks prior to the event (2 months if it is a B list activity).
· All checks for the event must be made payable to the Troop.
· You can order your patches from any company you choose. If you choose to order them with the regular quarterly MAGS order, you will be charged the actual purchase price per patch.
· The following area events MAY be used as a fundraiser by troops:
· Juliette Lowe Birthday
· World Thinking Day
· MAGS Dance
· GS Week Rollerskating
· Daisy Event
· MAGS Movie
If you run a MAGS event as a Troop fundraiser, and MAGS has budgeted money for this event, the Troop can turn in receipts for reimbursement up to the amount budgeted, adhering to the same guidelines for Financial Reimbursement as listed above.
Requirements for flyers being distributed by MAGS:
To avoid confusion, all flyers distributed through MAGS MUST contain the following information:
1. Name of Event
· Date and Time of Event
· Age level(s) able to attend
· Cost per person - Flyer must include one of the following options:
o $_____ per girl
§ $_____ per adult
o $_____ per person (girl and adult)
o $_____ per girl, adults attend at no charge
o Girls attend at no charge, cost is $____ per adult
o There is no charge to attend this program
§ If this is a “bring a friend” event and there is a cost difference between registered and non-registered girls, this must be stated on the flyer.
§ Also include a notation of whether or not a patch is included in the cost of the event.
· Registration deadline date
· The statement “Leaders are responsible for meeting Safetywise adult/girl ratio requirements for their troop” if this is not a drop-off event.
· Email and/or telephone number of contact person in case leaders have questions.
· “Make check payable to:_____________” See above under Events and Patches to determine if checks are payable to MAGS or the Troop.
Approved by MAGS Service Team August 8, 2013.
Below in Attachments you will find helfpul procedures for running area events. These are basic guidelines to help you get started. You do not have to follow them to the letter, rather they provide information for leaders who have not run a particular event before. They might include venue options, contacts, and basic planning timelines.