Location: Corner of South and Noble streets.
The "Home Church" (as the First Baptist Church is called) purchased a lot on the corner of South and Noble streets, erected a neat brick chapel thereon, and began a mission in that part of the city. A Sunday-School was at once established, which developed a deep interest, and in 1869, seventy-six of the members of the First Church withdrew by letter, and formed a new society nown as the South Street Baptist Church, receiving from the parent body a free gift of the chapel and grounds. This church now enjoys a happy prosperity under the pastorate of Rev. William Elgin.
The number of members is about one hundred; Sabbath-School membership two hundred and fifty.
The value of the property is about $10,000.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, pp. 218-219.