The Society of Friends
There is but one church of this denomination in Indianapolis. The house of worship is located on the corner of Delaware and St. Clair streets.
The church was organized in the year 1854. For two years the small congregation held their religious services in the old Lutheran church building, on North Pennsylvania street, near St. Clair. The officiating minister during this period was Mr.s Hannah Pierson, from Lockport, New York. In 1866 the society built their present house of worship, located as stated above. The next ministers of the church were David Tatum and Hanna B. Tatum.
In 1865 the society organized a "monthly meeting," and has had the following resident ministers: Jane Trueblood, W. G. Johnson, Barnabas C. Hobbs, and Enos G. Pray.
The present number of members is about two hundred and forty-six. The Sabbath-School has about eighty members. The value of the property is about $12,000.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, p. 225.