Location: Corner of Illinois and New York streets.
This parish was organized on the 10th of July, 1866, a vestry elected, and the Rev. Horace Stringfellow, Jr., called to the rectorship. For a brief period, beginning September 24, 1866, the regular services of the parish were held in Masonic Hall. Meanwhile the present church site was purchased, on the rear of which a brick chapel was erected. The first services in the chapel were held on Christmas day, 1866.
The erection of the Cathedral was commenced in the spiring [sic] of 1867. It was opened for Divine worship at the meeting of the Diocesan Convention, in June, 1868.
The Rev. Mr. Stringfellow resigned the rectorship, in June, 1869, and was succeeded by the Rev. Treadwell Walden, the present rector, in February, 1870.
The parish was organized with six communicants; the number in June, 1870, was one hundred and ninety-seven.
The dimensions of the Cathedral was sixty-five by one hundred and fifty feet; the extreme dimensions of the entire building, sixty-five by one hundred and eighty-three feet.
The style of the architecture is the rural English Gothic, of the twelfth century. The exterior aspects of the building are striking, and well illustrate the sharp, bold, outlines and details of the Gothic style. Its greatest length is on New York street. The superior elevation of the roof is sixty feet; and the height of the tower one hundred and twenty feet.
The interior of the Cathedral consists of a central and two side naves, with three aisles. West of the auditorium is the baptismal font and section room. In the transept are the chancel, vestry-room, library, etc.. The chancel, thirty by forty feet, containing the Bishop's seat and sixteen stalls, is very elegant. It has fifteen windows, of stained glass, and is artistically ornamented with appropriate, emblematical designs. The windows of the auditorium are also of stained glass, but less ornamental than those of the chancel. The window of the baptismal font is likewise richly ornamented. The ceiling of the auditorium is of the ornamental open-roof construction. The seating capacity of the auditorium is about one thousand.
The principal material of the walls is brick, tastefully trimmed with dressed stone and Milwaukee yellow brick.
The Cathedral is furnished with a splendid organ, worth about $8,000.
From Saint Paul's parish has sprung a flourishing Mission in the north-western portion of the city, elsewhere spoken of.
The vestry is composed of the following: W. H. Morrison and T. A. Hendricks, Wardens; Joseph E. McDonald, John M. Lord, E. S. Alvord, John W. Murphy, David E. Snyder, W. J. Holliday, and J. A. Moore.
The Sabbath-School is in a prosperous condition; numbering, (including the Sunday School Mission,) about two hundred and fifty pupils.
The cost of Saint Paul's Cathedral, and value of site, are about $75,000.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, pp. 204-205.