Indianola Mission--The location of this mission is in Indianola, on Washington street, half a mile west of the White River Bridge. The property was, for a number of years, occupied as Methodist church. Having fallen into disuse by the latter denomination, a mission Sabbath-School was started there on the 15th of July, 1870, by three of the young members of the Third Presbyterian Church; H. H. Fulton, E. G. Williams, and John G. Blake. The field for the mission was large and necessitous; and it has had a good degree of success. Beside the usual Sabbath-School exercises, religious services of Sabbath evenings, have for some time been regularly held--chiefly by laymen.
Arrangements for the purchase of the property by the Presbyterian denomination, will, it is expected, be concluded shortly; and thus another addition to the list of Presbyterian churches in this city, is far advanced in its development.
The mission is directed by John G. Blake, as Superintendent, with an Assistant Superintedent, ten teachers, and the usual additional officers. The number of members is about one hundred. The value of the property is about $1,000.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, p. 216.