Location: Corner of Delaware and Market streets.
The Fourth Presbyterian Church was formed by a colony from the Second Presbyterian Church.
On the 30th of November, 1851, twenty-four members of the latter society withdrew by letters, and proceeded at once to organize under the name of the Fourth Presbyterian Church of Indianapolis. Two elders were elected, Alexander Graydon and Samuel Merrill. A call was extended to the Rev. George M. Maxwell, of Marietta, Ohio, with the offer of a salary of $800. The call was accepted, and Mr. Maxwell commenced his service as pastor early in the year 1852.
After nearly six years of struggle, the society, on the 13th of September, 1857, was enabled to dedicate the present house of worship to Divine service. The number of members at that date was one hundred and fifteen.
In the spring of 1858 a religious revival resulted in a large increase of the membership.
In November, 1858, Mr. Maxwell's health failing, he resigned, much to the regret of his congregation.
In October, 1859, the Rev. A. L. Brooks received a unanimous call, which he accepted, at a salary of $1,500.00, and commenced his labors immediately. Rev. Mr. Brooks labored with the church until March, 1862, when he accepted a call from Chicago.
In July, 1862, the Rev. Charles H. Marshall accepted a call to the pastorate of the Fourth Church. His salary, at first $1,000, was gradually increased during his stay to $2,500.
Many additions were made to the church during the revival of 1869.
In October, 1870, Mr. Marshall was compelled by failing health to sever his pastoral relation with the church, to the general regret of the membership. During his pastorate the war for the Union began and ended; and at one time the Fourth Church demonstrated its patriotism by sending to the field not only its pastor, as chaplain, but some forty of its young men.
On the 1st of January, 1871, Mr. Marshall was succeeded by the Rev. J. H. Morron, of Peoria, Illinois, the present pastor.
The church membership numbers one hundred and eighty-five; that of the Sabbath-Schools, about one hundred and seventy-five.
The church edifice presents a somewhat ancient and time-worn aspect externally. It is quite commodious, having seating accommodations for about six hundred persons. The building is of stuccoed brick, and is surmounted by a high tower. The value of the property is about $50000, and it is free of debt.
The elders of the church since its organization have been:
Alexander Graydon, Samuel Merrill, Horace Bassett, John L. Ketcham, Henry S. Kellogg, Alexander H. Davidson, Charles W. Moores, David Kregelo, Robert Evans, Emanuel Haugh, John McKeehan, Samuel Merrill, J. H. Brown, Robert M. Stewart. Col. Samuel Merrill is Superintendent of the Sabbath-schools.
The officers for the current year are:
Elders.--David Kregelo, Robert Evans, John McKeehan, Samuel Merrill, Robert Stewart, James H. Brown.
Deacons.--William H. Comingor, Joseph R. Haugh, Hervey Bates, John L. Ketcham, Robert W. Cathcard, Daniel W. Grubbs.
Trustees.--Wm. A. Bradshaw, Joseph K. Sharpe, David Kregelo, Joseph R. Haugh, John D. Condit.
Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, p. 211.