Home‎ > ‎Churches‎ > ‎

First German Reformed Church


Is located on Alabama street, between Washington and Market Streets.

    In the fall of 1851 the Board of Domestic Missions sent to this city, to labor as its missionary, the Rev. George Long.  He began by preaching every Sabbath day in the Court house.  Before long he had succeeded so well that he was enabled to organize a congregation, who in the spring of 1852, began the erection of a house of worship on the above location, which was dedicated in October of the same year.  In November, 1856, Mr. Long resigned his pastorate, and on the 25th of the following month the Rev. M. G. I. Stern was elected his successor.  During the ministry of Mr. Stern his church ceased to be a missionary enterprise, and became a self-supporting society.  The debts of the church were all paid, and it steadily grew in membership and in the attendance upon its services.

    On the 26th July, 1865, the Rev. Henry Echmeier succeeded Mr. Stern, and became pastor of the church.  During his pastorate the church building was enlarged to its present dimensions and otherwise improved.

    Mr. Schmeier resigned after serving the church over three years as its minister; and the Rev. J. S. Barth is now the supply of this congregation.

    The house of worship is a plain but neat brick building.  The present membership of the church is about two hundred; that of the Sabbath-School, nearly the same number.

    Some of the founders and prominent early supporters of this church are still active members.  Among these are J. W. Brown, at present elder and superintendent of the Sabbath-School, Henry W. Tenneman, William Stolte, Frederick Kortepeter, Frederik Schowe, Henry Kruse and Herman Kortepeter.

    The value of the property of the society is about $12,000.

Holloway, W. R., Indianapolis, a Historical and Statistical Sketch of the Railroad City, a Chronicle of Its Social, Municipal, Commercial and Manufacturing Progress, with Full Statistical Tables, © 1870, pp. 224-225.